Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What do you think

simple-kid

I have been watching this sunstar on CL for awhile. I don't know much about them. What do you think it's worth? What type of motor does it have also? Here is the link......... http://maine.craigslist.org/grd/2967384176.html

The engine appears to be a Command, but can't say for sure just from the pics. Depending upon options, it would be worth the money. Power steering alone should bring you your $500 if you had to part it out. If it is all there and working good, that's a good price. Any attachments with it? That makes a big difference too. Anytime they say "needs some work", I always wonder what "some work" is. Building the Golden Gate bridge took "some work" too.

I get what you mean with "needs some work". Maybe Ill contact the person who owns it and find out more about it. Hopefully it has some attachments.:D

I have a series of pix denoting differences/cosmetic/paintscheme/decals over the years 86-97. I got this info elsewhere from a poster elsewhere. I can't guarantee it; but the pix say this is a 96-97 command. It is very similar to the 92-95 models; but the wheels are silver gray, indicating 96-97, also a slight difference in decal. The late models used commands, and "diff lock" might or might not be specified. The 20hp is desired over the 18hp. 500 is lowish. He's saying needs work - you need to know what?? I would be running w a pocketfull. At least, go look, and get the full story re "needs work". Sunstar is a LOT of tractor. (almost a compact) and the 20hp units have the stones to back it up. edit = paint is dull, perhaps a nonerunner, paint will restore easily. it's either got it's own parking place, or it's own 'service bay', or it has just been parked out of the way pending repair. or? edit2 = just noticed dented running board - side hit? bottom hit?

I called the guy, It comes with a 54 inch deck, and a swivel wheel lawn vacuum cart. It has power steering and and its all hydraulic and has a 20 horse Kohler. He put a new push rod and a coil on it. The only thing wrong with it is that the rocker arm chatters and he said it needs to be adjusted, What is that? He said he would take 400 for it, is it worth that?

I copied and enlarged the picture and was wondering what that is that is laying under the tractor. Also is that how they are supposed to look just rear of the hood toward the seat by the dash side? Sort of looks jumbled up there but I know nothing about them just sayin.

quote:
Originally posted by simple-kid
Thats the side covers I think.
It's not too clear. I think it's under the side cover (removed). Looks like wires, etc. exposed. The hood meets the "side covers", and the covers then taper to meet the rear end 'tunnel'(lower edge of cover), and fit to the ops dashboard (rear edge of cover). So the dashboard is finished, enclosed, and tapered - and immediately below the dash is the tunnel, extending rearward. This is common styling for all years of Sunstar; but paint and decals changed. Yes, side covers are under tractor - had to crank up the brightness to see those. Just noticed that. I'm going to post the pix I have in a new thread called "Years of SunstarS" cos there's lots of questions about 'what year is my sunstar', etc. (doing that now). then everyone can see and add to it, or verify, etc. = (hours later) new thread is up: had troubles w resizing pix, too big onscreen. finally renamed and reposted. ok now. "Years of SunstarS" - what's yours http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=121347#370744 (same questions have been popping up during last few weeks - hopefully that thread can be an info source, and quick reference, and maybe have even more information depending on contributions). It seems not a lot is known about Sunstars.