Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mechanicpsyco

revitalized 738

mechanicpsyco
If anyone wants to hear about the little tractor here it is. After I already had plans for the repower the little 8 horse started getting a little louder than usual. You start to notice these things after deck bearing replacement, LOL. Anyhow, a co-worker gave me a huge MTD with a 16.5 briggs, steering column all busted and stripped. So out comes that motor and with a carb cleaning and a oil change "ITS ALIVE!!!!" This is by far the best of all of the 738 mowers I have owned, I love the new power. Fuel consumption really didnt go all that bad either. Got some body mods to do, may get cut this weekend but will have wait till after mowing season for a repaint. Will try some pics when i get around to it. So a 16.5 will work, trim the blower shroud on the motor (It will seal against the fuel tank shelf. Hook charging wire to the fat wire from the stator (that would be the one with your friendly diode in it). On the exhaust, you are on your own. I made a front exit and welded on the a kohler type muffler, worked out good. I guess I have to say thanks for all of you guys for letting me back in after about ten years absence. Now onto the landlord!!