Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
larryscott

5216 mower help

larryscott
Hello all, I have a recently acquired 5216h with a 48" mower deck that I need some help with. The blades recently stopped engaging, so I replaced the worn deck belt and the blades still will not engage. I saw that the belt was at an odd angle from the PTO to the pulleys. I also noticed the V- pulley for the middle arbor was rubbing on the support assembly underneath. I have figured out that the front of the mower deck needs to come up. If I wedge the deck up in the front the belt is alligned and the middle pulley has enough spacing. I tried bringing the front up using the adjustment rods. It did not work. Any help would be greatly appreciated... I also have pictures if it will help visualize the problem How it currently sits [url][/url]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a204/oneminimeathead/mower/resz4.jpg This is with the deck wedged with where it needs to be give or take [url][/url]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a204/oneminimeathead/mower/resz2.jpg

GLPointon
I cant get on photobucket from my pc here at work, but have you gotten the parts/service/users manual(s) for your deck? First I would make sure deck can be & is adjusted correctly for height, bearings are good & spindles move freely. Then make ssure your belts are good. A worn belt may not grip on a 48' deck. Good luck!

lampoulos
The deck in your picutres is mounted way too high. If I'm seeing it right you're really close to the engine pulley. Mine sits at quite a distance from it. I'll take pictures when I put the deck back on for my next mow. Should be later today. It would help if you posted a picture a bit further back to see how the rest of the mower deck sits. How far out are your adjustment rods?

1Litre
Check the routing of your belt ,there is a decal on the deck. The belt numbers are on the underside of the hood so you can check that with the belt you have. Did you use an OEM belt or other? Some time cross refs are wrong from belt manufacturers.

larryscott
Thanks for all the guidance. Turns out whoever worked on the 5216 prior to me left bolts loose and some completely missing between the mower deck and the support assembly. I added the missing bolts and tightened the others. Doing this brought the deck up which got rid of the weird belt angles, stopped the middle v-pulley from rubbing and tensioned the belt properly. It works just fine now. Thanks again for the help...