Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

6216 pulley

JakeN

Hi guys, my grandpa got a 6216 simplicity several months ago and the variable drive wasn't working quite right. The belt wasn't disengaging. Therefor he couldn't put it in gear without the transmission grinding. So he started to work on the variable drive and he got new belts and got it adjusted as the manual says. The belts should be the correct size (he talked to a simplicity dealer somewhere and told him the correct size to get) so after all that work it still wasn't working properly. So he gave it to me and my brother recently and I'm trying to fix it now. I got under it to try and figure it out and the primary belt for the engine looked plenty loose when disengaged and all the belt stops are set properly but it still wanted to grab on the pulley on the engine. I need to know if that pulley is a clutch or something or just a pulley. My grandpa was already trying to take the pulley off when he had it so he could see what the deal was and he ended up cutting the pulley in half close to the crankshaft to try and get it off. So I took a closer look at it found that the thing wiggles - not on the crankshaft but the bottom half of the drive pulley- is it clutch? I hope this is making sense. So, I need information on that pulley and I would like to know how it works and maybe where I could find a new one if I need one. Part no. 23 in diagram wiggles:

Might as well show it off too:D

Heres the pulley:

If you have the manual. Then you should have a part number for the pulley. It is a Simplicity part so your either going to have to get from a dealer or find a used one on ebay or in the classifieds. The link below will give a price if the part is still available. http://www.jackssmallengines.com/searchdb2.cfm If you don`t have a manual. They are a free download at the link below. You will need to type in the mfg. no. of the tractor. http://www.simplicitymfg.com/manuals/

Thanks Ray, I do have the manual and its about $130 from Jacks. I guess I was more wondering if the one I have is good. And I need to take it off to ether fix it or get a new one on. and how I should take it off? - is there a set screw? - should I use heat? Thanks.

From the looks of the bottom picture it looks like the bottom pulley has been cut off. reference number 21 - 24 look simular to the driven pulley on a B 10 or equivalent tractor which has a thrust washer and bearing made of nylon. Probably should have tried replacing 22 and 24 bearing before cutting the lower portion off. If you would like the repair manual send me your email address in a private message and I will send it to you either late tonight when I get off work or tomorrow morning.

I've had issues removing these as well. Just takes patience, a big hammer, and some pointed heat. Though I'm not sure your looking for an answer to your grinding problem in the right place. My 6212 had the same issue when I got it running and the end fix turned out to be simply getting all your stops in the right place and having the clutch adjusted properly. Every once in a while it'll grind a bit going from forward to reverse & vise-vesa, but I always assumed it was a characteristic of the tractor's gear box. Since the pto end of the drive pulley has already been removed get yourself a gear puller to use. It'll save you a lot of time.