Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Why??

simple-kid

Sixty years ago I had a cousin who couldn't afford a real farm tractor but scraped up two "A" model Ford junkers and was handy at welding and he made his own tractor. It was sometrhing you would want to hang a pork chop on the radiator cap, but to him it beat horses and I was really surprised how much field work it got done. Remember "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" or "One man's junk is another man's gold";)

What was it like before he did that? If he did that to make a useable tractor out of something with a blown engine or something, I see that as no worse than just chopping it up and parting it out.

He is/was a member here. I seem to recall he did a tandem rear tractor and narrow front B-series? pretty creative guy, and very, very nice to talk with. I think he also used to go to our early meetings up in Rhinelander back when the club was just beginning. Pretty sure he has some nice Panzers too. Dan

He's solved a pretty complex problem, IMO, and that is making a foot-controlled hydrostatic short-wheelbase tractor... Check out all the modifications that SmilinSam was required to make on his short-wheelbase project in the Show & Tell forum -- and Sam's still has the factory lever control... The cosmetics aren't done, but Mike is showing and previewing some pretty impressive modification skills, IMO. His finished projects, like said above, look quite nice... I want to see this one when he finishes it...

I like it. Also if there was no one parting out tractors there would be alot more dead tractors than there are now.

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
if there was no one parting out tractors there would be alot more dead tractors than there are now.
I totally agree. Some tractors need to be parted out, and those of us that need parts for other tractors benefit from it. All I meant was that the club's motto is "keep it running." He's done that, so a tractor has been saved rather than a few pieces picked off and the rest going to the scrap yard or sitting around rusting somewhere.

quote:
Originally posted by CleanBee
He is/was a member here.
Is he the same gentleman that built this tractor? http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=120854

quote:
Originally posted by huffy
quote:
Originally posted by CleanBee
He is/was a member here.
Is he the same gentleman that built this tractor? http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=120854
No. It is Mike Anderson (tractormike) http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=64204&SearchTerms=Allisgator

Thankfully our iron is not turned into a bridge in china. What do you call a cub powered half simplicity half massey/snapper? We should challenge him to take what is remaining and put together into another outdoor power product.