Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rebuild a Lombardini, are you sitting down?

SmilinSam

I got ahold of a place that works on Lombardini diesels and just thought I'd ask what a rebuild costs. A complete overhaul is about $2200. Pistons are $218 EA and the jugs are $228 ea. They do make a 12LD to replace the original 10LD, cost: $3800 with exchange. Wow!! Though not unexpected. I still don't think mine is in need of that much repair.(if it is I'm sure not fixing it) I think I'll get a service manual and have at it one of these days and see what I can find. If nothing else I have seen a place that frequently sells new 18-22 HP Kohler twins for about $550. They have a internal spline on the PTO side, but since Simplicity drives off the flywheel side I don't see where it matters. Might not be a bad solution in the end run. Sam

powermax_paul
Well, Sam, that's about what us powermax owners can expect for an Onan rebuild also. It seems rebuilding these "not-so-small" engines is pricey. Some guys are working on conversions for the powermax to allow the newer performer series Onan's, but even that's pretty expensive. It seems strange that it costs so much for these engines when I am rebuilding a 5.0 liter Ford for my Bronco II for about $900 including the core. Paul

It is the Command OHV series I have seen. I suppose the cheap price is due to the fact that there is no shaft out the PTO side since it is setup with a internal spline connector to run hydraulic pumps or similar. I figured on the newer frame tractors you don't need the shaft anyhow as you put a coupling on the Flywheel side and run your drive off that. www.smallenginedistributors.net is where I have seen these. They seem to have them off and on. The one there now is a CH18s-62530 . I just bought a all hydraulic loader for a Soveriegn tractor so I'm a bit light in the pocketbook at the moment or I'd see about getting one. I talked to a guy at a local sale who knows someone west of here that is retrofitting the Powermaxes with Kohler twins. Apparently he has to basically rebuild the tractor frame to mount it up. I did not press for any more info.

I know where you can but NEW 3 cyl 20.8 HP Lombard.'liquid cooled diesels for $2800. Twice the eng of those old 18.5 hp's.