Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fuel pump leak on CCKB engine

PatterBrian

There is a massive leak through the gasket of the fuel pump atop the CCKB engine. It's Saturday and the grass is a disaster. Can I make a new gasket from some readily available material, or goo from a tube, to get the tractor going again? The fuel sprays out to the muffler. That seems like an awful lot of pressure.

The gasket is often the diaphragm also so it's unlikely you would have much luck repairing it. There are several ways for a fuel pump to fail, fuel pumping out is certainly dangerous but you could be leaking fuel into the crankcase also which could spell disaster for the engine if ran with thinned oil. I'd replace the manual pump with an electric pump. Any local auto parts store will have a 4 PSI or less pump on the shelf and all these problems could be solved at once.

1. The gasket is separate. I just took it apart. The diaphragm is on its own gasket. 2. Their are three fuel lines. Tank to pump. Pump to carb. Carb to tank. Would and electric pump have three, or would I block off the carb to tank line? 3. Is there anything I can figure out by looking with the wiring?

The return line kept the fuel line from vapor lock . Always flowing fuel back to the tank to cool . I would keep the same routing just add the electric pump into feed line. You could add a brass i/8" npt sleeve to put together the fittings where the pump was.

The best I could find was labelled 2.5 to 4.5 psi, so I put it in. I also washed a ton of grease of the top of the engine, and the carb and linkages. Now the darn thing won't start. I suspicious of the water I used to spray of the Gunk.

When I wash engine area, I like a hot day, leave tractor in sun, and wait 3 hours /evaporation, dry time. Of course the fuel pump is installed properly. Is there a gas shutoff valve? I have done that. Several times. Did you sniff the oil to check for gas? Or change oil? Or is there any issue with that? I hate the sound of exploding engine blocks; or even the thought; which is the only reason I even mention it; rather than hear the news later, and wish I had mentioned it. omg. 8)