Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Driveshaft question

locknut

Is there supposed to be thick washers on the front side of this front joint? I replaced both discs with new and put it back together like it was originally. [IMG]http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr342/locknut-1/Simplicity%203210V/009.jpg[/IMG]

I would take the thick washer between the drive shaft and disc out and place it at the disc and spacers to keep the spacers from digging into the disc.

That's not right. They've got the spacers doubled up. Take one spacer off each side and put it between the drive shaft and disc.

Thanks for the replies and a tip of the hat to Bob for the final word.Can't think of any reason why they decided to not use washers but,it is what it is.

I'm trying to put a brand new 18 H.P> Vanguard in my 7114. The tractor didn't come with a engine and its model number 1690725. My driveshaft is about 2 3/8" to short. I'm trying to figure out how to best fix this...locknut where do you find the disks?

quote:
Originally posted by mldmkr1960
I'm trying to put a brand new 18 H.P> Vanguard in my 7114. The tractor didn't come with a engine and its model number 1690725. My driveshaft is about 2 3/8" to short. I'm trying to figure out how to best fix this...locknut where do you find the disks?
How long is your drive shaft? Some models had different lengths, although most were 18". The only other 1 I know for sure, is a B1 had a 19" You can also build it up with spacers, in 4 different places, ie. both sides of both flex discs. the discs should still be available from a dealer, or one of the online sponsors here, or used from most anyone who might have some spares. Also, if anyone has any of the rubber style discs, I think they add about a 1/2 inch each also

Boy am I glad this thread came along. Mine was installed the way I described above when I took it apart. I just assumed it was correct and didn't bother looking at the manual. I probably would have put it back together the same way had this thread not come along and BLT posted the manual page.