Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

oil sentry or oil pressure gauge ?

FlashandFlare

I am in the process of R&Ring the head gasket(s)on my Command and I am thinking if now wouldn't be a good time to add a Oil Sentry or a Oil Pressure gauge. Can I get my oil pressure signal from were the factory oil sentry pressure switch location ? or would is there a plug down by the filter that I can access ?

Agreed. Pressure would be more practical on a mobile machine. Sentry shutdowns on mobile equipment can pose intermittent issues.

quote:
Originally posted by 1Litre
There is not one on my 20 by the filter.
Your right, I went and looked at mine and there isn't a plug down there on mine either.
quote:
Originally posted by BLT
A sentry switch is generally for oil level, not pressure, correct?
I don't know the answer to that either...... but I always thought it was loss of oil pressure hence why the pressure switch was threaded into the breather cover. I think I read something in the service manual about testing pressure opening and closing pressure. Now I gotta go grab the book and thumb through it to verify I read it correctly.

Hi, Not all spec #s have the oil light switch. If they do it is on top under the intake manifold, and the green wire hanging separate from the electric connector plug on the starter side. If it has the sender, it provides a ground to light a low oil pressure light. When the engine starts the pressure opens the switch and the ground goes away. If it doesn't have the switch, you can add one in the plate in the valley under the intake manifold. Al Eden

The oil sentry funtion is to monitor oil level, not pressure where unattened opertion is done, such as pumps genterators and air compressors where to oil level checked on the level.

I was surprised to fins an oil sentry on the Magnum 20 in the Sunstar I just picked up. I hadn't seen one before on these engines. There are also a few wires that go to the top of the carb, again, something I have not seen on these engines. These wires do not appear to power a solenoid, so?

quote:
Originally posted by Brettw
I was surprised to fins an oil sentry on the Magnum 20 in the Sunstar I just picked up. I hadn't seen one before on these engines. There are also a few wires that go to the top of the carb, again, something I have not seen on these engines. These wires do not appear to power a solenoid, so?
What spec number is the engine?

Hi, The pressure switch is for low oil pressure light. You can remove it and replace it with a sender for an oil pressure gauge if you prefer. It is in the main gallery. Al Eden