Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Parts tractors are handy

JimDk

GrinchyOne's post about his parts tractor got me thinking about last Saturday and how useful parts tractors are. Half way thru a much needed lawn mowing my trusty HB-112 slowed down and nearly stopped. A quick look at the drive belt told me that it was nearly gone and SLI was closed for the day. I went looking for a deck to hang on my LL-101 hydro project tractor. I had never tried mowing with it, and wanted to try. I stumbled on a 42" deck that I got with a 3314 parts tractor. The deck and belt fit right on and I finished the mowing job. The foot controlled Sundstrand is a bit touchy, but the cone clutch worked great.

Jim, That 101 looks almost brand new! But, you haven't mounted the Lazy Boy to the deck pan YET! W

No relaxing on that one, Wayne. I hang on with both hands and both feet. Once in a while, I need one of those NASCAR seats with a head restraint. For those not around during my struggles to make this project work, the Sundstrand is controlled by a foot pedal attached to the cross shaft in the right side of the picture. It's not the best idea that I ever had, but it works. This picture is from the "trial and error" part of the process.

Jim, you sure are right, parts tractors are handy. Boy could I use one right now.....

Sadly, the good old foot draggers just don't show up at sales and auctions like they used to. That's how I got some of my parts machines. The high price of scrap does not help the situation. It is our duty to save all of them that we can.

quote:
A quick look at the drive belt told me that it was nearly gone and SLI was closed for the day
You do know where I live....AND I have a key :D

Brenda, AND: You do know that I have more than one mowing tractor.:D:D That was an excuse to hang a deck on my Hydro LL project. After all, I did put a years work in that thing, and should try to use it for something.dOd