Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

s/g & regulator woes

wis34

Been having issues with my 7014 not starting...so I searched and read almost all the threads regarding the charging/starting system. Cleaned all the connections...filed a burr off of the regulator contact...took apart the s/g and blew out all the carbon dust...checked the brushes etc...put everything back together...and finally realized where the horrendous squeal was coming from. Bad bushing(and/or bearing)in the s/g! and of course, now i can't start my mower because it's binding. Since it's Sunday and I can't call any shops, I'll ask here----Anyone have an estimate on how much it generally costs to have a s/g rebuilt? I found the kits on e-bay(bearing,bushing and brushes) but am worried that it would be a waste of time to do that and then find out i'm still not charging. Thanks for any help! Matt

It is really difficult to guess a cost until it is opened up, to check the coils and armature. If the rear cover has an shaft extension molded in, it is the bronze bearing variety and I think those covers are hard to come by or non existent new. You need to find a rebuilder in your area to zero in a cost.

You are probably better off buying a working used SG off e-bay. Then take your time finding a shop to repair the one you have now. Having a working spare is always a good thing. John U

quote:
Originally posted by wis34
Does anyone know if a s/g off of a 3415 is the same as one from a 7016?
Fit, form and function, they should are the same. They only basic difference will be the the end commutator end frame. The newer has a ball bearing capped off with a dust cap and the older has a cast nub in the cover for the bronze bushing.

I'm also a fan of re-builders. I think of these guys as magicians. They just know them before you can tell them anything about it. The thing is to find the right one, where you can contact the source of the magic. Last time I talked to a starter guy, he was in the middle of testing about 40 of them. He ripped mine out, gave me a rebuild, installed it too - and I drive off into the sunset, and told all my friends "who". The stuff that breaks is just the stuff that breaks - to them. They know what to look for. It's like most of them wear "been there done that" T-shirts. 8D Having said that, I had a starter problem in my "ford tuff" truck. 8) Towed to a garage. I think it really needed a ground wire - what they sold me was a rebuild they ordered, and priced; and they also installed a ground wire. 8) 400bucks. hosed. end of happy days w them, cos it felt wrong. I like "magic" better - it's not always easy to contact "the oracle". sm03

Well, the one from a 3415 i found online...turns out they didn't have...but I could bid on it and wait 4 more days to find out. That was 49$ plus 16$ shipping. Dropped mine off at a local rebuilder.....and within an hour of getting home, he had checked it and ordered the needed parts. 80$(plus tax)...so I figure that's not too bad... I got a quote from a dealer for a remanufacured unite for 130$. Now to just wait till it's done! Thanks for all the input...I love this club!