Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

front dust covers

dav

my 64 landlord has grease zerks on the ends of the front axles. i figured that some p/o had put boat trailer type caps over the wheel bearings. i had to pull a tire off today to change the tube. discovered that the zerks are screwed into the end of the axle and that the dust cover has a hole thru it to clear the zerk. none of my other iron, all round hooded FDTs, has grease zerks. if this was a custom job done by a p/o, he did a damn good job of it. grease comes out of the axle halfway between the inner and outer wheel bearings. am considering putting zerks on the rest of the fleet, but it is kinda way down on the priority list.

That is a good custom idea. My 64 and 68 and Dad's 69 all have the zerk on the midway of the shaft housing.

Not as good as drilling the spindles, but you can just put the zerk right in the dust cap. The grease will push through the outer bearing to the inner. I've has a couple come through the shop that had this done and the inner bearings had plenty. Much the same as "Bearing Buddys"

How much would drilling the spindles for zeros weaken them? Aren't most zeros 1/4-28? If so, that's drilling nearly 1/3 of the 3/4" spindle out, isn't it?

That would be the size where the fitting is screwed on. The hole thru the spindle (to pipe the grease into the middle) can be much smaller. This type of grease fitting set up is fairly common on higher end trailer axles. Tom

There are different styles of grease fittings, including ones that press into a very small diameter hole. I use the ones that are threaded for 1/4-28 tapped holes. You only need a 1/8 inch dia hole past the tapped hole for grease to flow thru. McMaster Carr will show all the different styles of fittings. Steve