Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs Engine problem

hamman

I gave my BIL a 7014 S with a Briggs motor in it. The carb has been rebuilt and the engine runs but,...With the throttle in the idle position it runs full throttle and with it at full throttle it will idle for a short time them run wild again. It has not been taken out of the tractor nor has it been taken apart. None of the governor springs or setting have been changed from the original position. The Mod# 326137, Type 0252-01, Code 7710251. Any help would be appreciated. Roger

Was over there tonight and it starts and runs but still races. We had to file the points and they are set close to .020. I wonder if it in the points and they are just not strong enought to make the engine run properly? Never seen this problem before.

Start the unit up and hold the throttle lever on the throttle shaft at idle. Then open it up a little and then a little more. You should feel resistance as RPM increases.If you do not the linkage needs to be reset on the governor shaft or the centtifugal assembly has failed. Those units have governed idle feature that increases RPM slightly if you load the engine at idle to prevent killing the engine. Someone posted the diagram from Briggs service manual of the springs,lever and rod of the governor linkage some time back. Did the carb get serviced and then this problem occured?

I know Al published his take on governor adjustment, based on his experience and information from formal classes at B&S Techy school. Zippo has a good video on YouTube, concerning the adjustment of governors on B&S horizontal shaft engines. Cheers,

Yes it was after the carb was rebuilt that it started to run this way. I really think I need to look at the linkage again. I'm just missing something. Thanks. I have the Briggs manual and it shows the linkage as I have it now. I will look at it tomorrow. Thanks. Roger

I would forget what i said to do and pull that carb. The throttle plate may be loose on the shaft and it could let one of the little screws blow into the combustion chanber and bash the piston and head. Check to see if the shaft and plate are in correctly so they close fully . Ken

• 4 weeks later...
Been a while but we got back on the 7014 S in the last couple of days. We finally looked at the carb on my Homelite T-16 H and found that the carb throttle rod had been reinstalled wrong. Also after checking the points we found that there was no condensor in the points.(?) It ran but at full throttle with the rod installed wrong. New condensor and turned throttle lever over and it runs great now. Idles down and reves up as it should. The PO had someone work on it prior to my getting it and they put the carb together wrong. Thanks for all the help and information. Now if I can teach my BIL how to unlock the rearend when it locks up we will be good to go. Thanks Again. Roger