Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Implement manufacturers

Viva-la-B-110

I was talking with a salvage dealer today about buying a plow and disk from him for my B110. I told him was looking for what would have been offered by an AC dealership in 67 or 68. He kept referring to Brinly equipment. When I questioned him on this he told me Brinly had made nearly all the implements for AC garden tractors and that Bolens was the only brand that made all their own implements. He told me he'd never seen an AC that didn't have a Brinly plow behind it. Is this true? I've never heard it but I know it's definetly possible.

Idk. Im sure other companys made stuff. Just alot of ppl saw something worth its weight and scrap and junked it so its harder to find it now.

There were Simplicity made mold-board plows and Brinly-made moldboard plows. Simplicity was making mold-board plows for their walk-behinds in the 1930's and made them slightly larger for the 4-wheel tractors. Here's the 10" Simplicity plow for the 700: [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/new_in_1959/700_plow_pg4.jpg[/img] And the 6.5 and 8" molboard plows for their walkers. Note that both used the sleeve hitch -- which people often call a "Brinly hitch". But Agri-Fab also made aftermarket sleeve hitch implements too... [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/walkers/8_in_plow.jpg[/img] Note that Montgomery Wards offered a less expensive line of walkers than their Simplicity-made machines, manufactured by Midland, whose implements would interchange with the walkers...

Also if you'll look closely at this pic of an old Allis dealership, you'll see the same plow as that on the 700, in yellow, in the foreground: http://www.simpletractors.com/images/b-10_old/dealer_lg.jpg

Ohio steel made a few attatchments but the carts where most popular. Looks like one of the Beach Boys plowing a garden.

Here's a better look at a Simplicity plow from the 725 catalog: [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/new_in_1962/plow.jpg[/img] The difference from the Brinly is pretty apparent. But look how much it has in common with the 6.5" and 8" walker plows...

The build of Simplicity attachments has always appeared very different to me than Brinly or other manufacturers, as least as far as the earlier implements goes. I thought Simplicity had built their reputation on the tractors and attachments they manufactured themselves during the Walker era, and the design's didn't really chance much, as Kent points out. I would be surprised if someone were able to confirm their attachment builds were farmed out. I suppose it's always possible, but they at least appear to have kept their patented designs. When side by side, an Simplicity disc, harrow, moldboard or other attachment exhibit component shape and construction that seem to be all their own. We've heard stories before of dealers with inaccurate info, and it's probably the case due to decades of selling various brands, and the desire to sell you what he has, vs what you're looking for.

quote:
Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen
I would be surprised if someone were able to confirm their attachment builds were farmed out. I suppose it's always possible, but they at least appear to have kept their patented designs. When side by side, an Simplicity disc, harrow, moldboard or other attachment exhibit component shape and construction that seem to be all their own.
I don't know about all the attachments, I'm sure some were built "in house" but there are definitely some that were "farmed out" Look through the simple tractors site, you can find this line on several attachments ** This equipment is not built by Allis-Chalmers, but it has been tested and approved for use with Allis-Chalmers tractors. Like the Earthcavator, (you knew that:D) the trencher the sweepster who built the loaders? Henry? I don't remember, but an old read of Brinly history said they built stuff under something like 160 different brands over the years. They changed their website and I can't find it now :(

Brinly's top customer was Deere. Deere didn't make a lot of ground engaging equipment for their stuff so they turned to Brinly. There was a write up on Brinly and Deere's venture in a LAGC magazine a few years ago.

This particular salvage yard is in Altoona, PA. I found it via this ad http://altoona.craigslist.org/grq/2952826879.html in case anyone knows of the place and can vet it.

quote:
Originally posted by rokon2813
quote:
Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen
I would be surprised if someone were able to confirm their attachment builds were farmed out. I suppose it's always possible, but they at least appear to have kept their patented designs. When side by side, an Simplicity disc, harrow, moldboard or other attachment exhibit component shape and construction that seem to be all their own.
I don't know about all the attachments, I'm sure some were built "in house" but there are definitely some that were "farmed out" Look through the simple tractors site, you can find this line on several attachments ** This equipment is not built by Allis-Chalmers, but it has been tested and approved for use with Allis-Chalmers tractors. Like the Earthcavator, (you knew that:D) the trencher the sweepster who built the loaders? Henry? I don't remember, but an old read of Brinly history said they built stuff under something like 160 different brands over the years. They changed their website and I can't find it now :(
Right...but these implements were called out as not being manufactured by Simplicity, but were 'approved' for use with, and would not void the warrantee of, the tractors. More like a cross-marketing campaign than a farmed out, branded product. In later years the Brinly stuff appears in the ads, etc with the Brinly name. I suppose I took those pieces as indicators that the other implements were in-house designs. BUT...it's still completely possible they weren't. It would be neat to know, from a source with the company. I'd be interested in the Brinly write up too...

quote:
Originally posted by Brettw
quote:
Looks like one of the Beach Boys plowing a garden.
That it do!
Yeh, I think so too; but could be Eric Estrada's cousin. 8D