Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Needle bearings

PaulK

Replaced the needle bearings last year (Part # 2154258) in the PTO for my Sovereign 3012. They seem to have disintegrated. I now guess that greasing them up might have been a good idea? Will try that this time. Shopping around in any case, I find pricing that goes from around $5.00 each to around $15.00 for the same part number. Is there a difference in quality that would account for this price difference, or is this just people charging what they think they can get? I would like to not have to replace these things again.

They are $8.75 at a Simplicity dealer. I have never had to replace mine so greaseing them should make them last a long time.

At this point, the shaft may be an issue. It may have some scoring. It is about 40 years old. I called the local dealer to see if he had the bearings,(to save on shipping charges) and haven't heard back from him.

I've found it's generally cheaper to get bearings through McMaster or Applied Technologies than the dealership. Even with shipping some of the ones that I ordered for my Landlord redo were half as much as the dealership wanted to charge me. I don't know that the same would be true for the bearings you need, but it might not hurt you to spend 1/2 hour checking out their websites to see.

I had the mid PTO shaft bearings go out on my 3314H. By the time I realized it, it was too late and it destroyed the shaft too (and damaged the thrust washers. I got the bearings off of eBay; about 3-4 dollars each as I recall. Ray S sent me NOS shaft for a reasonable price. Needless to say, I give it a shot of grease every time before mowing now. Tom (PK)

• 3 weeks later...
Got the new bearings, and found out that the bearing housing had distorted so badly (The belts were getting chewed up, but the deck still cut the grass ) that the bearings wouldn't go into it. Ordered a new bearing housing ... which comes with bearings, and a new pulley & shaft (due to major scoring - approx 1/4" deep - in old one.) The new bearing housing was about 1/8" longer than the original one - 40 years may do that, including one or two of major abuse. There was also a threaded hole... possibly for a grease fitting? Got one, and a grease gun, and grease, and went to town. Twenty minutes later was cutting wet 5" grass with aplomb. Much quieter than before, and didn't have any belts disintegrate.

Don't know. This is for the central PTO that drives the lawnmower deck. My bearing housing looks like a short length of pipe with roller bearings at each end. It is held in place with a u-shaped bracket, and has a hole in about the middle for a grease fitting, I have found out. I never saw a nipple there, and never put any grease in. I had this tractor in for major service about five years ago, and they may have done it then, but I think I would have noticed a grease fitting there. Now I wonder about the grease that is escaping past the washers at each end of the housing. Are these supposed to be of a special type of washer or seal to keep the grease in, or do we just need to squirt some more in every few hours of use? Will try to get a picture, but have had trouble getting them small enough to post.

Thanks, Paul I will have to go look for a grease fitting - I don't think it's mentioned in my manual = AC 716H. So that's why I asked. Kinda wondering if things changed with model numbers = ?? also sent you a PM. Graham .

The main manual for my AC B110 does not mention the grease fitting. It is in an additional sheet for the mid mount PTO.