Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dmsmitty2004

Homelite T16 H question

dmsmitty2004
Well, I went plum nuts AGAIN. I brought home a Homelite T16H this evening. It is clean and runs good. Doesn't have a mower deck but did come with a snow blade. The price was just right at $200, and only 15 minutes for home. I couldn't resist jumping in the truck and taking off from work a few minutes early to "look at it", shortly after it being posted. Anyway beings I have no room in my shop for anymore toys, and it was my uncle who pointed it out to me, with him in need of a mowing tractor & I have a deck for it, looks like it will find its way to him. However, first things first... I am noticing the Vickers hydro slows the tractor way down making a right hand turn or going up hill. In order to get it back to full speed I have to turn the wheels to the left slightly then straighten it back out. I noticed a leak from what looks like a seal in the tranny, & the seller said he has been told by a former Allis repair tech that the Differential should be taken apart, cleaned & redone to correct it from slowing down. There is no strain on the engine when it does slow down, & I don't seem to notice a belt slipping Before I go to far, What is everyone else's opinion on what could be the culprit? I just brought it home tonight and haven't quite had the time to play around with it much but drive it around & up to my shed. I will work to get pictures posted in the next couple days.

JimDk
I would adjust or replace the belt first. My HB-112 with Vickers started slowing big time on hills. No squeal or burning belt smell. I adjusted it to the end of the rod and that helped. Added edit: I did buy a new belt, but have not installed it yet. My BGB is worn out and the right side seal is leaking a little which may have added to my belt slipping. Unless Murphy pays a visit, I will fix both at the same time. Winter project??sm02

dmsmitty2004
Thanks for the help. I am going to have to get a new belt for sure, finally got time to fully examine the tractor, but I think I will still have to do some adjusting. Also while looking it all over this evening during a few minute break. I was working on getting a deck mounted. I know it is driven off the front shaft of the engine. I was guessing the mule drive off a 300 or 400 series allis would fit, I appear to be wrong. Did the Allis built Homelites use a special Mule Drive?

PeppyDan
The AC built Homelites used its own mule drive and I believe there were even two designs of it. I have one that I would sell if you need it. Please PM me if you do and we can talk measurements. Dan

PhanDad
PeppyDan is correct, there are two styles of mule drives for A/C built Homelites based on early/late manufacture. Here's a couple of pics of the early style mule drive:

Those with sharp "Homelite" eyes will note that the mule drive plate has some "extra" holes in it - I made them so I could reverse mount the mule drive to use a snowblower. The front axle setup is very different on the early/late Homelites, hence the difference in mule drives.