Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Oil Filter for KT17 Series II

midnightpumpkin

I am sure this has been discussed previously but I can't seem to find the article(s). Can I take an oil filter adaptor from a M20 and simply bolt it on in place of the block off plate on the KT17 and install a filter? Is it that simple, given that I have a blown M20 and a good running KT17. I also understand that there is a small relief required in the frame of a 7117 to accommodate the oil filter. Can someone verify this. Thanks for any and all input on this. John U

Yes, I made an angle cut on my 7117 from where the metal seam is, to the existing lower metal. Maybe cutting out a 2 and a half inch triangle on right side for my m-18

During the repower and restore of my Sovereign, I took a can and traced for a round cut in the frame to accommodate the M18 with a filter. It looks good and it fits well. I used a Dremel to cut the tight radius and a Sawzall for the rest. I would love to find a filter plate for the GTHL KT17 as you are doing.

Brett, Thank you for the pictures, they really help to visualize what needs to be cut. I don't mind making a cut like that, it does not compromise the strength of the frame at all. The factory probably did the same thing for the later units that came with oil filters. Have you posted any more pictures of your tractor, we would all love to see more of it. John U

John: I will get a measurement to the front of the cut from the front of the frame. Note that this frame was already cut out for the KT twins, not like the older single cylinder Briggs or Kohler frames, just needed to expand the cut forward for the filter.

Here is an up close pic, John. Actually 6-1/4" to the front of the tractor. Plenty of space for the filter. Might be a bit tight trying to install the engine in the tractor with the filter on, otherwise everything works just fine.

Brett, Thanks so much for that last picture with dimensions. I can cut my frame before I put the engine back in. Mark, I bought a Sunstar with a blown engine to get the power steering. All kinds of goodies on the blown M20! John U