Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lesson I learned.

wis34

I learned something yesterday. Pay attention to both ends! I was attempting to remove a pulley that was rusted onto the crankshaft(luckily, NOT my Simplicity) using heat. While I was worried about destroying the oil seal, I never thought about the shaft itself. While I finally got the pulley to slide off the keyed portion...when I got about 1/4 inch from the end of the shaft....I realized,from the heat and pounding,I had flared the end of the shaft! Now I have a beautiful 4hp B&S piece of lawn art.

quote:
Originally posted by TomSchmit
You should be able to grind the shaft round enough to make it useable again! Tom
Or if you dont need that portion of the shaft, polish the shaft beween pulley and block, tap the pulley back a bit and cut that portion of the shaft off.

While LEARNING about deck spindles, 8) I did similar with the expensive shafts, B) I recovered by using a grinder, and got even closer by using a grindstone bit on a Dremel-type Tool. It was a custom salvage operation. Magnifying spectacles can help also - the $5 cheepeez at wally world, etc. The THING is, there's nothing to lose, and everything to gain. :D It ain't over until .... Take a hard look at it; after regrouping. sm01 I quit my deck (recovery) work - totally discouraged. But that was a couple years ago, still have all the bits and pieces, and might return to it. In the meantime, I try to warn others, and I did learn a lot too.

Rule #1 never hit the end of a shaft with any hammer other than a "deadblow hammer" or brass or wood mallet. I always try to polish it down with emery cloth and spray it with PB then try to rotate the piece off the shaft. (if Murphy's not around)...good luck sm01