Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Clist find. GILL SPIKER

split51

I picked up a Gill SPIKER off of Clist yesterday. Is there any manuals floating around for these? [IMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q119/split51/bf276cfa.jpg[/IMG]

I have one just like that, but to be honest I've never even tried to find manuals. With only 2 grease zerks, the maintenance is pretty obvious, though the maintenance interval isn't... :O:D

Thanks Kent. I agree it is pretty straight forward on maintenance, I just like to try to get all the manuals to my tractors and attachments.

quote:
Originally posted by split51
Thanks Kent. I agree it is pretty straight forward on maintenance, I just like to try to get all the manuals to my tractors and attachments.
BTW, I just noticed your username. Is that a reference to VWs by chance? 1951 was the last full year of the split rear window bug. They changed some time in mid-production of 1952 to the small single oval window...

dOddOddOddOddOddOddOddOddOd Ah... I had a '53 Oval sedan, a '63 rag-top, a '64 steel sliding sunroof, '67 convertible, and I could go on and on...

That type of unit is generally not the best aerator. It punches holes in surface, and the holes will simply push back together. I might be useful for disturbing various "patches" of undesired conditions, and will provide some aeration effect (short term). But a plug aerator better relieves compaction and better promotes downward drainage and percolation of water and nutrients. But a heavy thatch layer could be disturbed to expose soil to surface treatments like fertilizer or seed. However, the roller effect promotes compaction, which is the main reason for aeration in the first place. It would be good in my backyard where I keep trying to destroy everything - it's dominated by weeds and crabgrass, it's sand so it won't hold water, and will only support a lawn with frequent h20 inputs. Lately, I abandon it - it's the tractor staging area for most work such as hauling firewood, etc. But with enough destruction, I can eventually create better surface containing organic matter that holds h2o. It will naturally go dormant or die in July heat. Add tractor on that, it gets crushed and trashed. What returns is from seed - weed, crab, and poa annua (hi h20 req.) and some persistent fescues (maybe). That unit would be interesting in loose soil as a surface conditioner, such as a tilled or plowed garden plot; or even a new lawn with new soil. Almost like discs. Perhaps there's more to it than what I see now. It has some interesting characteristics; but it's not the best as an aerator. It's similar to "spiker" aerators; designed to mainly cut rhizomes to enhance reproduction through thickening - but only for rhizomatous grasses, such as Kentucky Bluegrass, and possibly some stoloniferous types, which are both actually rare - due to high maintenance requirements thinning them out of lawns, despite seed used, and great intentions. Much depends on the specific requirements of the specific species in a specific lawn. Don't mean to rain on your parade - I could use it in a few places where it would be the ideal tool.

I love VW bugs, I actually have an eye on a 60's or 70's bug thats a few miles away from my house. It's been siting for a few year but what I love about it is the cool hub caps it has. I always wanted to make a street and strip hot rod bug.:p I don't think Ill be able to get it because my dad thinks I'm starting a junkyard with all the tractors I have in the yard.CCC

quote:
Originally posted by ssmewing
Maybe it's for mole reduction? He's getting ready to go caddyshack on them.
That brought to mind these things -- if you wanted to look like "Mad Maxx Beyond Thunderdome" or something... but they don't seem to offer them for taller tires: [img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41I5ETQDaiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg[/img] http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001MPZZLQ/ref=asc_df_B001MPZZLQ1929221?smid=A1FX37ZPCCROMY&tag=5336432814-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B001MPZZLQ

:D omg 8) sm00 sorryB) I didn't mean to interrupt {} yeh, those wheels 8) would solve all yer problems :D maybe peace, bros. :J sm03

I hooked the Gill Spike up last night and pulled it over my freshly spriged yard. It does a really nice job of keeping the soil loose to let water soak in. [IMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q119/split51/9a31773c.jpg[/IMG]

I think it's neat as can be...something about the old attachments they published in the AC ads. Very cool!

Wow. Nice property. That tree must be 100 yrs. That pix is like time travel; especially with the Allis, blends right in. Must be nice place to live.

neat attachment dOd probably closest to a manual you will find is here - http://www.simpletractors.com/attachments/gs_specifications.htm http://www.simpletractors.com/attachments/gill_spiker.htm