Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

PatterBrian

Onan CCKB No power to ignition circuit

PatterBrian
I installed an electic fuel pump, and took power off the the low voltage wires at the coil. At first there was power; I could hear the pump. Now there isn't power; the pump runs when connected to an external power source but not the coil. Where should I start looking for what I ruined?

midnightpumpkin
Brian, Do you have the wiring diagram for your tractor? Chance are you didn't ruin anything. Most likely you have a marginal connection somewhere between the ignition switch and the ignition coil. John U

Al
Hi, Is there any chance that you connected the pump to the wire that goes to the points?? If so you would have no voltage when the points were closed and when they were open would be someplace between say 3 and 9 volts. You would also have no spark. Al Eden

Cityboy
You have to find a constant power source because the points break the connection with the coil. I ran my power from the ammeter and used a switch turn the pump on and off manually. A connection to a switched source would be better if you forget to turn the pump off! Good luck! Dave

PatterBrian
Good guess, guys. I had connect the - lead to the wire to the coil. Fixed that, and it started right up. That's the good news. Bad news is it ran for about thirty seconds, smoked like mad, and quit. I'll take a look at that this weekend. I'm getting to like long grass.