Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mid Mount PTO Spring Keeps Breaking

bowhunt4life

Okay help me out here please. I broke the spring that mounts to the mid mount PTO for my mower deck. The spring broke at the point of contact with the rod that swivels off the rear lift. Went down to Yellow B10's and got a spring from him and got half way thru the yard and noticed the second spring broke!! Any suggestions on why? My guess would be I need a longer drive belt so that there isn't as much pull and tension going towards the front of the mower? [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/55chevy/pulleyspring.jpg[/IMG]

I knew you were going to ask me that. I don't know as it came with the mower when I picked it up. I'll try to measure and post here shortly.

I gotcha. I just put one on my B-110 and already can't remember the length. I went by the belt reference here, and it was too dang tight for my liking, so I backed off an inch and it was perfect. Still pretty snug, but not breaking any springs ;)

If memory serves, 44" on the short wheel base, and 48 on the longer FDT's However, if the PO messed around with the pto or its belt size, you can adjust up or down an inch or 2

I figured it out!!!! Last night for the life of me I couldn't figure out why those springs were busting. Then as I was driving along this morning I recalled seeing a couple sparks as I engaged the mid mount PTO. I grabbed the springs and sure enough both had a groove in them at the break point. I figured out that the drive belt on the tractor is too short pulling the mid mount PTO way forward resulting in a mid mount PTO pulley rub on the spring when it is pulled tight. So I'll heat up the spring and put a new bend in the end to reconnect and get a drive bell that is 2" longer than the current drive belt. Wow if it isn't one thing it's always another. Thanks for the input.

If you heat the end you could lose the temper in the spring You can bend the broken end into a usable spring

After further review there is no pulley rub causing the spring hook to break. I believe the 46" belt, manual called for a 47.5 so I put on a 48" belt and all works fine. I believe there was just way to much tension on the spring hook and as the deck was engaged the spring hook which connected to the rod attached to the rear lift just wore thru the spring metal. Hopefully the drama is over.

if this is a B-10 or big ten your belt size's are wrong. get the correct belt size's and the PTO will work like it should. the side PTO is 35" the cross-drive belt to deck is 44.1" and the 42" mower deck spindle belt is 82.1" on a 48" deck the cross drive belt is 45.1" too short of belt will cause too much tension on the center deck mandrel and will ruin the mandrel or crack the mounting holes/deck area. i hand a center mandrel rip right out of the deck cause by a tight belt.

Perry, It's a B10. The manual I have says the deck drive belt is 47.5" and I have a 35" PTO belt. I think I have the correct set up. I am going to mow tomorrow and see how the spring holds up. Thanks, Chris

the 47.5 cross drive belt is for the double V-pulley setup. if you are running a single drive deck pulley setup then the 44.1 would be correct. did you look over these charts ? http://www.simpletractors.com/parts/belts/belts_pg4.htm

quote:
Originally posted by bowhunt4life
Hmm looks like I have to do some homework. thanks, Chris
ya that doesn't sound right. if the 47" is too short then a 44 will be way to short...LOL the spring should be on a stud with tension handle bolted to the trans behind the hitch

look at page 8 in this manual - http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCyEN8cuI0rE3CG.5kbp796Dq

The spring and tension handle are place properly. Mid mount PTO is placed properly. The PTO belt is a 35" belt. The belt running from the pto to the deck arbor is a 48" belt. I'm gonna mow today and see how the spring holds up.

Just a thought - is your deck a FTD deck with the small driven pulley (vs a RBT deck with bigger driven pulley). That would make a difference in the belt length you need. For reference, here's a pic of my B110 42" FDT deck:

Yep original deck with the mower. Mowed the lawn this morning for 1 hour and everything performed as it should.