Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Another FDT Diesel Swap

locknut

Try loosing the bolts holding the engine to the frame. Leave the driveshaft hooked up and spin the engine over without starting it. That will allow the driveshaft to put the motor where it wants it to be. I have done that in the past as well as other members and it does work. I may consider one of these upgrades in the future. It is amazing the fuel economy of one of these diesel compared to gasoline. My last Lombardini fuel up lasted 9 hours before I decided to refill tank so that I wouldn't have to bleed the fuel lines. The fiberglass disk have quite a bit of leeway in them.

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
Try loosing the bolts holding the engine to the frame. Leave the driveshaft hooked up and spin the engine over without starting it. That will allow the driveshaft to put the motor where it wants it to be. I have done that in the past as well as other members and it does work. I may consider one of these upgrades in the future. It is amazing the fuel economy of one of these diesel compared to gasoline. My last Lombardini fuel up lasted 9 hours before I decided to refill tank so that I wouldn't have to bleed the fuel lines. The fiberglass disk have quite a bit of leeway in them.
Thanks for that tip Ray.I did that,then tightened the bolts up and fired it up and ran it for about 15min.The hub on the flywheel is still tight and driveshaft rotation looks good,even at higher speeds now.Hopefully get it all back together and put the mower deck back on by Sunday and see what it'll do.Also anxious to see if the deck mod is going to work so I can mow at 4" instead of 3".

Greg that is bad-to-the-bone!!! Good job as usual on the mechanicals and it looks awsome too dOddOd

quote:
Originally posted by GLPointon
Greg that is bad-to-the-bone!!! Good job as usual on the mechanicals and it looks awsome too dOddOd
Thanks,I think it will be fine when I get all the kinks worked out.Scratch the shoe-goo,fuel eats it up.The fittings on the fuel filter started seeping so I got some 1/4" pipe fittings and screwed them in as far as possible.Changed the air filter to a small cone type so the side panel can be removed without removing the whole air filter assembly. I think I'm making progress :)

quote:
Originally posted by toomanytractors
Greg, What RPM will that diesel turn at full throttle?

Got the deck on and mowed the grass.I hadn't mowed for 2 weeks and it was 8" high.The diesel plowed through it without breaking a sweat.The deck mod seemed to work ok too.I had the 2 roller support bars lengthened an inch.Full up measures 3-7/8 on the back of the side blade adjacent the output. Not all is good.I think the front seal on the BGB is leaking.The next time I have to take that dang dash tower off,it's going back on in TWO PIECES!

Here's a couple pics on the deck mod.Looks like there's still plenty of clearance for the belt. [IMG]http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr342/locknut-1/Simplicity%203210V/001-14.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr342/locknut-1/Simplicity%203210V/002-10.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks for the nice comments. The Chinamen finally got me.Had big oil leak overnite and couldn't locate the source,so I pulled the engine and cleaned it good and let set for a few hours.The culprit was the oil filter plug assembly.The original one looked nasty,so I got a new one from the dealer.Pulling it out and comparing the two I notice the o-ring looked smaller-measured .30mm smaller.Took the 0-ring from the old one and put on the new one.Gonna let it sit till tomorrow before putting it back in the tractor.

Looks like the larger o-ring fixed the leak. Re;deck raising mod.I noticed the PTO pulley and belt were hotter after mowing at the increased height.Assume the higher angle as a factor.I had the PTO off a while back and fixed the side to side slop,but couldn't get the shaft to come completely out.It rolls smooth but I can "hear" the bearings.Don't know if new bearings would help the heat issue,or not.

I know the earlier pto's had a grease zerk for that lower cross shaft, might be a good mod! Nice job on the oil burner BTW.

quote:
Originally posted by ReedS
I know the earlier pto's had a grease zerk for that lower cross shaft, might be a good mod! Nice job on the oil burner BTW.
It has a grease fitting on it and plenty of grease.I wouldn't mind doing a pulley mod on this if I could find a little smaller arbor pulley that has the 3 holes like the W pulley it has now.then change the one on the PTO for a regular V-belt setup.

While I had the engine out I took the flywheel shroud off and checked for debri up around the head plenum.It did have some so I made a screen out of 1/8" screenwire.Now I won't have to worry about it.If I had a cab,I'd be tempted to build a shroud to harness warm air from these exit ports on the head and shoot it back to a cab.It moves a tremendous amount of air. [IMG]http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr342/locknut-1/Simplicity%203210V/001-15.jpg[/IMG]

• 1 month later...
stevenb210
i was wondering what all mods did you have to do to the tractor frame to get it in? make new bolt holes open up cut in frame and the spacer for the drive shaft how is it making one of those? i am asking cause i am getting the same motor in a week or two