Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mower deck

allis712

Hi everyone! i acquired a simplicity 42" mower deck, serial #990575. My question is what model tractor will it fit? i have a allis bigten as well as a allis 716H. i was hoping i could use them on both if it didn't require a lot of modifications. thanks john

There's manual for the 575 on briggs site. At simpletractor.com = "what fits" shows will fit on a 3400series (pg14) No mention of 716, - I don't know if it only covers the older traxtors. I would take 'fits 3400' as a 'maybe' ?? cos those are close to being like your 716 - not sure tho.?? Looks good for "what fits" on the Big 10. dOd Several of those listed. SEE "WHAT FITS" http://www.simpletractors.com/Main/what_fits.htm

The 575 was an FDT mower deck. It will 'work' on each of your machines, but on the 716 you won't be able to lift it because the deck adjusters will hit your running boards. The blade speed will also be higher on your 716. It was meant for your Big Ten, but could probably get you by on the 716, if you were in a pinch. I had a 716-6 that came with a FDT 42" mower, and it was a cutting fool. The PO had 'notched' the running boards to allow it to lift. :Q

How many people actually use the height adjustment handles, once they've initally leveled the deck? With the worn rollers on all the decks I've seen, those handles are usually cranked for maximum height and not fooled with again...

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
How many people actually use the height adjustment handles, once they've initally leveled the deck? With the worn rollers on all the decks I've seen, those handles are usually cranked for maximum height and not fooled with again...
Mine is always set at the measly 3-1/8" max. If your not adjusting you can just remove the handles and run a bolt through the elongated slot, I would think.

Crank em up all the way, tighten up the nut at the lower end of the adjuster and take the handles off. The only time I ever adjust mine is when I use the Vac,I like it a little closer.

I tend to agree with max em out and leave em. but today I mowed a friends lawn, and lowered the adjustors, also soaked em in wd40. Lowering the mow height made it possible to cut into the upper thatch and stubble area a little bit - which is like a cleanup mow, and it stresses the grass for a few days, and then the lawn recovers with all new fresh green growth - just a trick I learned - but it's "scalping", actually deliberate controlled scalping, for a good reason. Plan is to raise it slightly after that.

Thanks to everyone for the information, i wasn't sure what the deck fit. I will hook it up to my bigten.