Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
GLPointon

Big trees + Saw + Simplicity = Firewood

GLPointon
Earlier this spring I had 2 massive trees cut (so sun will hit my south roof for future solar panals). I saved $ by having the tree guys leave all the wood...ALOT of wood!

This is the first project that I've really needed this hitch, and man is it great for pulling big loads...^

That big stack is about 1/2 the wood cut & hauled. I got another weekend to go...

My sons are a big help...and below our 2 puppy girls are ever-present

You know, the funny thing is, I dont even have a wood burner......Yet Any suggestions on a type/brand? I want just a free standing wood burner, not a furnace.

steve-wis
In the past I had a Jotul wood burner. Made in Finland, I think. It was fantastic, lots of heat for not much wood and heated my small home completely. Kind of pricy, but in my opinion worth it. http://www.jotul.com/en-US/wwwjotulus/ Steve

jfrank1962
quote:
Originally posted by steve-wis
In the past I had a Jotul wood burner. Made in Finland, I think. It was fantastic, lots of heat for not much wood and heated my small home completely. Kind of pricy, but in my opinion worth it. http://www.jotul.com/en-US/wwwjotulus/ Steve
Yes...we had one of these Jotul stoves in the basement when I was a kid. It did an awesome job. dOd

GLPointon
When I was a kid my neighbor was a welder at the Allis Chalmers factory here in LaPorte, In.. They built tractor attachments here. He got a discount so I think he had every attachment possible for his B12 tractor. After he died his wife gave me his Grader blade, Dozer blade and this Hitch which is great, it will fit on the rear or the front of these tractors for pushing trailers around sm01
quote:
Originally posted by ardisam
Where did you get that hitch?

GLPointon
Thanks Guys for the WoodBurner info. Will I need to run a triple wall "chimney" (triple wall "vent" to us gas guys)? I know they're pricey...but safer XX(

steve-wis
I would check local code for your chimney. I agree, better safe than cheap. I had a brick chimney with liners when I burned wood. One chimney fire is all it takes to burn down a house in an insuffecient chimney. Steve

arnoldir
Hello, Good looking tractor and wood pile. As to stoves, I have a cast iron and soapstone stove. Hearthstone I believe is the manufacturers name, the biggest one with the glass front door. It is about 2" thick all around, takes about 2 hours to fully warm up, and gives off a nice even heat. I have it backed into the opening of an existing fireplace, with a stainless liner in the existing brick flue installed by a pro. The stove air intake can be fitted with a flange that allows it to be plumbed through the wall as is apparently required in some states. Happy tractoring, and buring up that wood.

GLPointon
Thanks guys, another question: Does anyone make a woodburner/heater that ties into your waterheater or has a heating loop in it for hot water? I think club member "MPH" has one in a custom heater thats outside his living space I believe. I have 6 in my house and we use alot of hot water...$

arnoldir
Hello Greg, My next door neighbor tried an "outdoor wood boiler" free standing looks like a small shed with water jacketed firebox that is plumbed into the house in place of, or in prallel with an oil burner. This thing had no brick lining inside the fireebox, so when the house demand shut off the draft fan shut down and the thing would smolder and build cresote. When the demand kicked on, and draft fan came on it would smoke like a diesel locomotive. This is in a neighborhood where average lots are 1/2 acre. Long story short, after 3 years of legal wrangling, we neighbors managed to get the town to outlaw these things. There are good wood fired hot water plants, but they have a firebrick lining to keep the burn temps up high enough to keep particulate emisions simmilar to the EPA regulated wood stoves. I'm not sure what he uses now, but I believe it is a brick lined unit in his basement. Good luck with your search.

GLPointon
Thanks for the info Roger. I'm in the country with only one neighbor so the smoke isnt much concern but the COST of those "boiler sheds" is. My gosh, If I bought one of those and the cost of constant wood supply, splitter, saws, time spent cutting & hauling, etc...Your MUCH better off with a good 95% gas furnace and work a few hrs of OT a month to help with the gas bill. sm01 I just want a simple woodburner for an emergency and as part of my "Prepper" plans.
quote:
Originally posted by arnoldir
Hello Greg, My next door neighbor tried an "outdoor wood boiler" free standing looks like a small shed with water jacketed firebox that is plumbed into the house in place of, or in prallel with an oil burner. This thing had no brick lining inside the fireebox, so when the house demand shut off the draft fan shut down and the thing would smolder and build cresote. When the demand kicked on, and draft fan came on it would smoke like a diesel locomotive. This is in a neighborhood where average lots are 1/2 acre. Long story short, after 3 years of legal wrangling, we neighbors managed to get the town to outlaw these things. There are good wood fired hot water plants, but they have a firebrick lining to keep the burn temps up high enough to keep particulate emisions simmilar to the EPA regulated wood stoves. I'm not sure what he uses now, but I believe it is a brick lined unit in his basement. Good luck with your search.

Sign in to follow this