Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
steveo358

46 inch sickle to 7016 tractor question

steveo358
Hi I got the sickle hooked up, and I keep hearing that I need a reduction pulley, and when I engage it at low idle I believe what I am hearing is correct. My question is what do I need to do to reduce the sickle rpm. I dont want to blow this baby up. Do you remove the pulley on the drive of the sickle, and replace it with a smaller one, and if so, could anyone tell me what I need, and possibly where to get it. I really want to get this thing going because mother-in-laws drive is extremely overgrown alongthe ditchbank. Thanks, Steve

dav
i think by putting a smaller pulley on the sycle, you would speed it up. i think where ever your belt is driven from on the tractor is where you need a smaller pulley. my experience is with the FDT's and the drive, also called a mule drive, has two sizes of pulley on the output side

ReedS
The 7016, as well as all cone clutch style pto tractors use a different sickle bar attachment than the older style tractors, I'd tend to believe that converting the old style sickle to that tractor will be difficult if not impossible. I don't have the proper sickle attachment number but that unit has a planetary reductiion unit on it to reduce the input speed. Good luck!

MysTiK
In the meantime.... Weed wakker (gas), with 3-side, or 4-sided "DIAMOND LINE" or similar type of REALLY NASTY weed wakker line. Avail at most small engine shops. - for those tough jobs. Cuts faster, lasts longer between line feeds. - wear eye and ear protection and long pants and sleeves - let her rip! - face shield, or chain saw helmet is a nice option