Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sickle bar

andy330

Hi, Does anyone know how to properly or an easy way to install rivets in my 46" blade ? Also i have heard of using bolts. are they good and were would you find them ? Thanks to the guy who told me how to use this sight... getting old.. Andy.

I would personally be reluctant to use bolts on this kind of unit since the slot is rather small compared to a farm-sized bar. The good news is rivets of this size are a bit easier to deal with than the large ones ;)

You can buya rivet punch at TSC or similar farm supply store that will work well swelling the rivet and securing the section properly. The rivet punch rounds out the flat end and swells the rivet when the bottom of the rivet is properly placed on an appropriate striking object like an anvil or railroad iron. In the absence of a rivet punch we have used a ball peen hammer; use the flat end of the hammer head to swell the rivet first thus securing the section to the bar. Next use the rounded hammer end to round out the rivet head on the section. Make sure the bar and section are clean and free of foreign material when starting the process and the rivet is completely seated to the bar on the bottom sid. The section must be flat on the top of the bar when you begin the process of swelling and rounding the rivet. Rivets are soft so any mistakes can be quickly removed with a cole chisel and redone. This one uses a rivet tool most of us dont have but its good reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4EgyH2Wx28

WOW, wish i had one of those rivet machines !!! I am having one heck of a time punching the old rivets out..! Thanks for the video !

The tool is occasionally on eBay. Various prices. I got one at a farm sale for $5 sm01 It doesn't work with individual 2" sections without some modification. The video shows it with 3" sections.

The block that engages the section is just under 3" wide. That is too wide for the 2" sections on the Simplicity sickle bars if you are removing a single section. You can get another block from Johnson and grind it down to less than 2", I think. It will be close to the block mounting holes though. You don't really need the tool. Put the sickle bar loosely in a vise and whack the offending section with a big hammer.

Ok, big hammers are usually good for the stuborn things, I liked how the machine made a nice round ball when you put the blade back on !!

Hi everyone, Question, should the rivets for the sickle bar be a SNUG fit when you put them into the hole or a little loose ? The ones i bought seem like there a little small ?? Does anyone know the correct size. Thank for all the help !!!

Rivets are #6 (3/16") x 1/2". You can get them from McMaster Carr. When you swage the end of the correct size rivet, it will be very tight.

From the 46 inch sickle bar manual " Rivet- round head no. 6 x 1/2 inch long. Farm and fleet stores have quite an assortment.

Are those Smith tools out in the field small rivet remove and replace any good or crap ? See them on e-bay...