Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ssmewing

K321 motor orange sparks?

ssmewing
I have a 7114 with a kohler k321. I had the motor running at full throttle and lifted the hod and saw that orange sparks were coming out through the cooling fins from the area above the carb that would blow right where the exhaust port is at. It has started losing power when warm to the point of almost stalling. I was blaming this on the carb. Now that I see orange sparks in the air flowing under the shroud I wonder if something else may be wrong. Head Gasket? I don't know from what I remember about metal shop besides the drugs was that orange sparks meant a certain kind of metal burning. Please give me some thoughts.

BLT
It sounds like you cooling fins are plugged, a favorite place for mice to reside. Those sparks could be their furniture burning. You will have to get access to the cooling fins on the cylinder to see if they a plugged. That is my first guess, especially since you said engine got hot.

bnolte
I wonder if something found its way inside the blower housing, such as a bolt or small rock, or if the grass screen is rubbing on the blower housing, if it is attached to the flywheel. That could send the sparks a flying. You would also hear grinding noises as well. I wouldn't rule out the previous poster's theory either.

ssmewing
You know I thought that same way with the critter house. There was a lot of air flow though. If it is that it would have to be the very end of the house burning. The color of the spark and the way it looked is exactly like metal sparks though. I mean like it had weight to it even though it was coming out very fast.

1Litre
Usually the head gasket blows on the area over the carb and exaust outlet . Anything is possable. Maybe a bolt from the crankcase cover is backed out and hitting the flywheel. I would think you could hear it.

rokon2813
There should not be enough heat in there to get metal to glow unless something is rubbing on the flywheel. You should be able to hear it if there is. Possibly nutshell fragments. they do get hot enough to glow and would look like they have some weight. Either way, you should get the cover off and find out for sure. Don't see it much on tractors from here in western new york, but I got tractors out of Vermont and Connecticut that after running them the first time, my garage floor looked like I had been sand blasting. It was all nutshells. I could here it though, like marbles in a blender LOL