Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

OIl seal woes

Nubian

Working on my Kohler M20. Just pulled the old oil seal and installed the new one, and it's leakingB) How can I pull it out without ruining it? It did not go in squarely but I squared it sm02 And how deep does it get pushed in? Right now it's just a little past flush.

I like to set them in about 1/16" from the beveled edge. You can not go far in on that one aa the bore is only about 1/2" deep. The seal maybe damaged if you hade it slanted to far placing it in. you could try to blow it out but you may blow the flywheel side and then there is much more work. Check the crank to see if is moving up/down or sis to side. I have not seen the seal area on the crank wear that it will not seal but anything is possable.

By the book, insert PTO seal to a depth of 1/32" (+3/64" -1/64"). You can push the seal in too far, it will be right against the bearing. I don't know how to pull the seal without ruining it. If you are going to try a different seal make sure the shaft is clean and even polished and wrap some wax paper around the shaft to cover the keyway. You can easily slightly cut the seal as it slides across the edge of the keyway.

Well I think what I thought was a leak wasn't and caused myself more woes. I noticed a thick lubricant on the inner seal part that contacts the shaft. I think that lubricant serves as some sort of breaking in barrier for the seal. I say this because when I went to wipe it, I noticed it was much heavier than motor oil. My guess is that lubricant gel of some sort was liquifying as it was breaking the seal in. Any way I managed to push the seal in approx. 3/16" honestly don't think it will impact anything, I just don't know. Will leave as is unless advised otherwise.