Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 720 troubleshooting

greyhairedpete

I told a friend I would attempt to get her AC720 running for her. It hasn't been started in 3 years. The first thing I noticed is the massive rodent nest in the framework. That has been cleaned out, and it doesn't appear that any wired were eaten. I put the charger on the battery, and when I turn the key, the oil light comes on, but the motor doesn't turn over. I took the neutral safety switch out and ran a jumper wire between the connections. Still no start. What is the next thing I should check? Peter

Check the switches for the PTO and the front clutch. If they are engaged (pushed up), no go for a start. Also, mine occasionally will not start due to a faulty connection to the solenoid. (Does the oil light dim when you turn the key? Can you hear the solenoid click?) I know there are folks on this site that can help you more than I can. Good luck! Dave

Not sure what all you may have tried. I would cover basic contacts like battery to solenoid to starter to battery or ground, etc. Clean the contacts, fine sandpaper. Three yrs is a long time and corrosion is possible. Having a meter might be handy; especially to be sure of continuity where the mice may have nibbled; or the corrosion might be partial. but, I also defer to the higher minds. Was it stored inside or outside? Did you also look for "Rodentia" building small condos in blower area? Also, the thought of old gas in the tank :O - if any, get it out of there, and probably premium fuel is a better bet - to help contain additional fuel issues, deposits, gummeez, goo - don't play the ethanol card, use premium gas. There could already be a problem that calls for carb cleaning. But that's fuel talk; which is next after the electricals and starting issues.... that's my 2 cents. Welcome to the forum that helped you fix this beast. 720 is a fine machine.

She's been stored in a storage area under a barn (very damp). I haven't worked on it this week but I hope to this weekend. I'll start with the battery to starter and grounds. Thanks for the input! Also, my own pride and joy is a 1973(?) Simplicity 3416 that I got for free. It was being thrown away because of a leaky headgasket! Well, I solved the headgasket issue, sanded her down, and repainted her in Caterpillar yellow. I even added Cat decals on the sides of the hood. Believe it or not, I have fooled quite a few people, telling them it's a very rare Caterpillar lawn tractor....

Might be a sulphated battery, which means replacement. CAT lawn tractor, now that's unique.....