Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Grader Blade vs Snow Blade vs Front Loader

jsarro

I have a 69 Sovereign 3112V. Is the grader blade the same as the snow plow blade or are there two different attachments? How does the Johnny Bucket loader compare to the OEM loader? How well do all of these options work for moving or grading dirt around loose or packed? How well do the loaders work for digging? Cost wise how do these implements vary? I am considering some of these options for yard landscaping. Thanks for the help.

grader blade will go on the belly, and the snow blade will go on the front. my front blade worked fairly well for smoothing and pushing things out of the way. I've no experience with the loaders or buckets..... though i REALLY want a simplicity power shovel/johnny bucket. One recently sold for under 100$ close to me and I regret not picking it up.

Jack, A snowplow blade looks just like a plow off a pickup truck. Much smaller, but serves the same purpose. A snowplow blade sits out in front of the tractor. Depending on the style of snowplow you have it can also be used to spread and level dirt. It is mainly used to push snow. A grader blade is positioned inbetween the front and rear wheels (just like a road grader) and is used to spread and smooth dirt, rock and the like. (Note some people will use a grader blade in combination with a snowblower to remove the snow left behind a snowblower.) A Johnny Bucket, while a great tool, is not a front end loader. A Johnny Bucket is designed to transport material from one place to another (think wheelbarrow). The Johnny Bucket can dig if the material is soft enough but it is not really designed for that. A Johnny Bucket can only be lifted about 6 inches high, while a front end loader can be lifted 6 feet or more. Cost is a hard question to answer it depends on the area, the seller and the buyer. I know of two grader blades sold at different times by the same seller. The first one went for $150 and the second for $250. The big difference was the time of year. That said if I had to rank them in price it would be: 42 inch snowplow blade (no springs) Some of the newer 42 inch blades may have trip springs) 46 inch snobplow blade (has trip springs) 42 inch grader blade Johnny Bucket Front End loader Do a search; both SmilinSam and Kent have reviewed the Johnny bucket and Larry8200 has a good example of using a 42 snowplow blade to grade his driveway. I have no experience with a front end loader on a garden tractor. That said I am sure they would be very useful. And I want / need one. I have the first four items on the above list. In the summer I use the Johnny Bucket and grader blade. In the winter I use the 46 inch snowplow blade. The 42 in snowplow blade sits unused in the back of the shed. Once I acquired the grader blade I won't be without one. Does a great job on my driveway and private road I live on. It saves me hours of hand racking the driveway and road. Sorry for the long winded answer, but I hope it helps. Rick....

snow blade 100 grader blade 200 johnny bucket 500 loader 1000 All prices give or take depending on condition and area. either blade will grade dirt, the grader has more control, does a better job. With the belly mount grader blade, you can stand on the blade to grade harder dirt, but you will eventually run out of traction either bucket will move dirt. neither are real good for digging in anything hard, garden tractors are just not built for the abuse and don't have enough weight. johnny bucket doesn't pile anything, doesn't go up in the air like a loader bucket.

Dan has sold many of these attachments and delivered many of them, so his prices are accurate. Rick.......

I also have a 3112v, I have or have had all the attachments you asking about. It has L112 on it, digging depends on the type of soil mostly, soft sandy soil will dig fairly easy of course but soil with a lot of rock or ledge will be another story. Another factor is the volume of what you plan on digging, these little guys aren't very efficient in terms of time and volume. Trying to dig a large volume could also result in breakage, they aren't built as heavy as the newer machines such a say Kubota. I like mine for moving loam, gravel and snow. It's also great for moving heavy objects around too! The grader blade is more of a lower volume finishing blade while the snow/ dirt blades are better for moving a larger volume of either snow or dirt. The Johnny bucket as mentioned doesn't stack material but is a low cost alternative to a loader. Also a hydro-lift will be a real arm saver if your using those attachments a lot.

Can't remember where I saw it, and can't believe I never hear about it; but Simp actually had a "rear bucket" or "rear scoop". I thought that would be good since the front end would be spared heavy loads, and the rear end would better carry heavy loads. 1 sec. Found it here: I think this would be handy around the yard. http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/allied_atch/page_4.htm#Rear%20Bucket The other thing I have seen elsewhere; and kinda surprised again, there's not much mention of it here, that I know of, is the idea of a winch operated front blade converted to a bucket I have seen these on lesser tractors, some of them pretty fancy. Not much talk here tho. If used on light loads only, it should not take much to put sides and a bottom on a plow blade, and then work out a dump mechanism. Maybe it's easier said than done. I wish I could weld. :( Also, there's another kind of snow blade, dirt blade; usually referred to as a "dozer blade" which is heavier and has 5-way angle adjust. More $$ too. Rare. Some of these appear in Attachment manuals.

See the topic below for another option like you were remembering. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=100053&SearchTerms=bucket[/url] When searching you can have it scan archived posts also.

Thanks for all the input guys. I appreciate it. That clarifies things for me. I'll have to keep an eye out for these implements when they come available.

That Johnny Bucket price of $500.00 is that a used price? The website seemed to state something along the lines of $1200.00.

Jack, The Johnny Bucket price of $500.00 would be for a used one. The bucket does come up for sale on this site every once in a while. I know others have also purchased a Johnny Bucket set up for another brand of tractor and modified the hitch to make it work. So you do have options available. Rick.........

Jack, Another option to consider is a small dump trailer to pull behind your tractor. Yes you would have to manually load it; but for the most part it will empty itself. You will still need to spread it as well. But if the distance from the loam pile to your backyard is fairly long, then at least you won't have to use a wheelbarrow to transport the material. Depending on the amount of material you need to spread and the available attachments you can find for your tractor, it may be faster to rent a larger tractor with a bucket. Rick......

Right on, Rick. A dump cart is so useful for all kinds of stuff. I don't carry things anymore; they are mini moving jobs. Used it other day to unload a truck full of pruning debris to my firepit all in one easy trip. Would have been 5 trips w a wheelbarrow. Collect firewood. Take out the garbage. Check the mail. :D Haul everything. People? Stuff. Other tools. Gardening..... more seat time. They are big and small sizes. Mine's an AgriFab "Utility 15" model; it's rated 1200 lbs. Bigger, yes, I just don't worry about it. Simp made a neat one that flips upside down for total dumping, if desired, or normal dump w tailgate pops off. bunch of Agrifabs on this link. http://www.lotus-equip.com/Agri-Fab%20Dump%20Carts.htm They sell used anywhere from 50-150. Get a big one. Another nice lawn toy is a plug-type aerator. sm01 And a dethatcher. Cheap used. Simp made a real gem called a "Revitalizer" (rare) I want one. Also the "EarthCavator" by Gannon. (rare). Attachments are great for enhanced seat time.

quote:
Originally posted by GregB
See the topic below for another option like you were remembering. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=100053&SearchTerms=bucket[/url] When searching you can have it scan archived posts also.
Thank you, Greg. Do you have a recipe for yours? I used to think it was ugly; now I think it's the perfect thing. :D Not many do front buckets on 716's tho; so it seems. I think part of it has to be a front framework, or bracket idea. How to do that? Priceless. Anyway. thx. dOd Gone researching....

Mine ? On the big Ten below? I bit the bullet 10 years ago when we moved to this house. It is a Real Jonny bucket from Jonny MFG. Bought it for ~$600 or so, before prices really skyrocketed. One of the best investments I made. Can mount it on the big ten, my 716-6spd or the 917 but since the 917 has hydro lift the 716 armstrong lift has not seen the bucket :D . Have moved many tons of fill and stone with it. I have a B-110 with a L-10 loader, but there are still times where the Jonny bucket is the best tool to use.

Seems like a guy has to have an FDT to do an FEL 8) 3012 Sovereign = SWEET [IMG]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/sbull78/IMG_1419_1.jpg[/IMG] There's another one in this link: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=106429&SearchTerms=bucket

quote:
Originally posted by GregB
Mine ? On the big Ten below? I bit the bullet 10 years ago when we moved to this house. It is a Real Jonny bucket from Jonny MFG. Bought it for ~$600 or so, before prices really skyrocketed. One of the best investments I made. Can mount it on the big ten, my 716-6spd or the 917 but since the 917 has hydro lift the 716 armstrong lift has not seen the bucket :D . Have moved many tons of fill and stone with it. I have a B-110 with a L-10 loader, but there are still times where the Jonny bucket is the best tool to use.
Yes, the one in your sig. sm01 Wow, I had no idea that was a JonnyBucket; it's kinda dark in the pix. I have never seen a used one for sale around here. They want like 2k ish for them new, last I checked. Been to the site; they used to have a vid of a Simp 7000 scooting soil around. That was few years ago. I've been chasing pix of winch buckets ever since. Some winches have remote controls, that anchor somewhere near driver's seat, on fender, etc. I saw one with 2 remotes, for raise/lower, and for open/close bucket. Kinda mimics the real thing. I think it was on a Murray. 8) Also saw a loader that was all done with no hydraulics, it only used actuators. Anyway, yes, like you describe; I'd be calling for another dump truck full of fill and running all over the place rearranging the landscape. It's pretty rural and way too much for endless wheelbarrow work. Have you had any problems with the front end on your 917? I heard the front end on 7000's was a little soft - but the JB approach tends to keep the excess weight down anyway. The problems are more associated with FEL'S /heavier loads, etc. Serious loaders seem to have front wheels like a GT's rear wheels. (5 bolt)

I will have to look into that convertor for the blade. I've got a 54" blade from a cub cadet I modified to fit the allis. I never thought about welding sides and a bottom to it.

Awesome info on the buckets! I definitely need a dump cart or wagon. I will be hauling and splitting wood this fall. I am eyeing this one. http://www.sears.com/universal-12.5-cu-ft-poly-cart/p-07124357000P?prdNo=8&blockNo=8&blockType=G8 MysTiK, awesome tractor!

Jack, DR POwer just introduced a super lift trailer this spring. They call it a "versa-trailer". Has a built it boom-lift good 'til 400#. Dumps up to 650#, and carries 1ton. Check it out at DRpower.com. Like most of their equipment "IT AIN"T CHEAP!". On sale 'til 5/31, free shipping. My '68 Landlord 2110, was used in a commercial business (mostly mowing). The "Hired Hands" beat the bolts out of it! Specially the 32" tiller, and 42" deck! Wayne

quote:
Originally posted by deezay
I will have to look into that convertor for the blade. I've got a 54" blade from a cub cadet I modified to fit the allis. I never thought about welding sides and a bottom to it.
A 54" blade would be good for loading light material like mulch, etc. But for gravel, you would be doing a front wheel stand, with the bucket on the ground - note you need good steering skills, and really strong arms, to handle such aerobatics. Probably a smaller blade would be better for such a project. I would like a little 2-foot blade, maybe a bit more. Hitch and mechanical advantage is also in play. There's some math to that, and some engineering. With some basic theory, you can kinda fake it, trial and error, adjust, try again. Use of pulleys can help too. I don't fully understand all this stuff either. It's complicated. It takes a clear plan. Consider how it will be lifted, how that will affect the tractor, what might break, etc. Lifting is serious. Find an FEL manual and read all the scary safety warnings. Buckets are usually low to ground; but tractor stability is still the main concern. Speed and hard cornering are just not it. It's crawl speed work. Rear weight is required. The load must needs be under control; if it's not, the tractor isn't either; and you with it. (KwikWay site might have some safety info). I think they make the loaders for new Legacy machines, or they did. EDIT = The safety and liability concerns are probably the main reason these devices are not readily available everywhere. Void warranties might also be a factor. It's pretty much personal, and custom fabrication. Welding skills are needed; or access to that. Finding a friend who is a welder is like finding a cable or satellite friend. :D The more research the better. I tend to think that since a blade already goes up and down, that, if things are kept small and simple, half the battle is already won. But things escalate from that point; and everything matters.

quote:
Originally posted by jsarro
Awesome info on the buckets! I definitely need a dump cart or wagon. I will be hauling and splitting wood this fall. I am eyeing this one. http://www.sears.com/universal-12.5-cu-ft-poly-cart/p-07124357000P?prdNo=8&blockNo=8&blockType=G8 MysTiK, awesome tractor!
Jack, your tractor, I believe, is very similar to that one with the front end loader. And those loaders do appear now and then. It won't work on my 716H, the loader subframe won't fit, because I have an RBT, running board tractor, and I think yours is an FDT, foot dragging tractor. Running boards interfere with subframe, crossframe reinforcements, etc. that come with the loader kit - or something like that. I tried. :( Anyway, I think it's an L110 or L112, which I think is aka a Johnson loader. There's an app for that - a manual that is, available somewhere, not sure of the MFR number. Here we go - I might be wrong about L112 etc.; but I found this manual, you can download through simpletractors.com, or at Briggs site, just plug in this number = MFR = 990515. Note I am a little confused about Johnson, L110, etc. This might be same or different; but it's got lots of info. I do have a Johnson loader manual, which is really old, looks like a scan copy, but it's for a Cub Cadet tractor. If you want to see that PM me an email addy, and I can attach. Some people here actually own these things, and can advise you better. But this much will make good bedtime reading, for sure. wow - did you ever ask the right questions!! 8D great thread. Re dumpcarts - yes, shop around. There are bigger and smaller ones. Newer style is like the Sears you mentioned/linked. Mine is older rectangular metal box - 3'x4' and x14" sides with a removable rear panel for dumping; tilts rearward with dump release. Bigger tires than most. 1200 lb. real handy for firewood ops. The newer plastic ones have sloped sides sometimes, which loses space, and bottom area can be smaller. Some others are quite tiny. Get familiar with sizes and cubic feet capacity. Mines a 1" axle also. Like I said, I don't worry about it - it's tough - I show it basic respect only. Altho it's bigger, it doesn't really look or maneuver like it's big. The larger space is just easier to use - throw stuff in and go. Don't snag any trees. 8)

My 916 has power steering, so I don't need to worry about arm muscles. I could fill the rear wheels with some ww fluid and with all 250lbs of me on the seat, I figure I should be fine with some light loads. I would use it mostly for mulch or just hauling plants/stuff around. Maybe dirt, but I don't do anything with gravel. The blade I've got is setup fairly close to the front wheels, unlike the simplicity blade that sticks out further from the tractor. I figure this will help with the weight bearing on front axle and the lifting geometry in general. It looks interesting, and has peaked my interest for sure. I wish I could afford a johnny bucket, but I just don't see that in my budget any time soon. Thanks for the lengthy reply and all the information.