Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
aprophet2

Simplicity Coronet - issues

aprophet2
I just picked up a Coronet 5 speed / 12.5 hp. I'd sworn off RER's a while back but this thing really is a nice little mower and I got it from a relative at a price I just couldn't pass up. Anyway, while it is currently running and usable I have two issues with it and I'm not sure where to start with either of them. First, the electric clutch seems to have trouble starting and its not the switch. When I switch it on I can hear it engage and I can see the deck spindles turning very, very slowly - like it's barely moving at all. After 20 seconds or so the clutch engages completely and the blades will spin normally. When I'm mowing with it and its been running for a while and I turn it off then back on it takes a lot longer to engage. When I get off to empty the bags etc., it really has a hard time engaging when I hop on to start mowing again. I had to turn it off and on and mess with the throttle but eventually it did engage again. Are these PTO's adjustable at all? I really hope it doesn't need a new clutch because they cost more than I have in the mower! Second issue: when I put it in high gear (4th or 5th) the machine lurches and bucks but in 1st, 2nd and for the most part 3rd it seems to drive fine. If anyone can lead me in the right direction on either issue I would appreciate it. Like I said it cuts great and I sure would like to use it for a while.... Thanks for any help your suggestions you may have.

1Litre
If that is an inline transmission then the keys ,4th and 5th gears are worn out. Two keys are spring steel with small contact area to engage in each gear. The tips of the keys wear the edge off and the inside of the slots get worn to an angle that disengages the keys from the gear. Each gear has 4 slots so it skips to the next two slots and that is the jerking you feel.Forth and fifth get used the most and also place the most load to the keys . If third is starting to do the same thing then replace that gear also. This is for the Peerless transmission and transaxle units .

Al
Hi, I would check the drive the transmission drive belt and be sure the tighteners are tightening the drive belt properly. Next re the electric clutch. If the clutch is triangular shaped, it has 3 nuts. If so, take a .010" feeler gauge and insert it in the slots in the clutch near the bolts between the rotor and the driven plate. Adjust to .010" clearance. Go around the 3 slots and adjust, twice around before quitting. Al Eden