Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Bear

axle problem

Bear
A guy brought me a large frame tractor to fix. It has no ser. numbers. Has hyd. with elec. lift. Has hydrostatic decals on stearing tower. Heres the problem. Left side axle slid in tire rubbing on cone clutch. I can pull axle out so it wont rub but it slides back in.He said hyd was slipping.Any thing I should look for before taking apart or condeming trans.

1Litre
Hi You have a problem at left axle and the differential on the other side. The inner axle is held in with a wire retaining ring in the diff and a collar with set screws on the left side. When you look down you should see collar on the axle with a thrust washer and that should be very near the end of the outer axle . It must have loosend and lets the inner axle move to the right. There are keys in the axle that engage a gear next to that retainer ring. When that axle slides to the right those keys most likely fell out of the axle and are floating in the grease next to more gears in the diff. You can loosen a collar on the right side and pull that and the right wheel hub off the inner axle and look into the diff and inner axle retainer ring and keys . The other problem may be a broken outer axle that usually fails on the right side near the trans or the diff on the right side.

HubbardRA
The axle goes all the way through the tranny, out the other side, and also holds the right side hub in the correct position. From my experience, when the left side collar comes loose the axle moves to the right(which we all agree has happened) and lets the right side hub move to the right and disengage from the spider gears in the differential. Most times all that is needed is to lift the tractor up off the ground and push everything back to the left and tighten the set screw in the collar on the left side. Make sure the right side hub is fully engaged with the spider gears and sitting all the way to the left, then pull the left side wheel all the way to the left, push the collar to the right against the tranny, and tighten the set screw in the collar. It has happened to me and that was all it took to get it back in working order. When this has happened, the slipping that was talked about is usually the gear on the right side hub disengaging from the spider gears, and then re-engaging. On level ground just having the edges of the gears engaged is enough to power the tractor around the yard.

Bear
Had a chance to look at tractor. Found hub is welded to axle on this one. This caused free wheeling on axle.Weld on hub broke.Can this be welded back on with out taking unit apart.

rs07
I've heard of them breaking before at the hub. My local dealer just fixed a Deutz-Allis 914H a few months back like that. He ended up putting a whole new axle on. If you can weld it, my guess is it would have to be perfect, otherwise you'll have a wobbly wheel. The new axles are still available. I don't think it is too bad of a job to replace them, at least my local dealer made it look easy.