Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

!!! The sanctity of my shed is Desicrated !!!

SmilinSam

I did the unconscionable today.......I bought not one, but TWO!.......John Deeres. If that wasn't bad enough, I parked one of them ......in the shed .......with my AC's. Oh the shame of it all! I'll probably have dreams of my AC's waking up in the night and looking like Dutches' rig in search of "FiFi", Waking in the morning to find that poor JD Chewed to bits on the floor!!!!!!!!!

powermax_paul
Better just leave the JD's in the shed! Otherwise they won't start. When I was young and foolish I had a JD 165 that used to run the battery dry before it would pop off. Did that since it was new. On the other hand, Simp/AC tractors like being outdoors whether they're working or sleeping. We just put them inside so they look good longer. Paul

I have had trouble with JD's, after my grandfathers 912 Hydro went to a better place afet 8 shortblocks since new and was only used 3 hours a week, anyway it is in the possession of clubmember "Les" a good friend of mine, they started making me use my relative's JD 400 with 60" deck, (it is alot faster than the 42" deck!!) and it keeps breaking down, I finally felt so bad about them and me using a JD I traded for used Simplicitys and gave them one each, now I can cut in peace and not see that green!! We all know that lawnmowers are painted green so they hide in the tall green grass they can't cut!! :) "Buy a deere buy the best, cut 2 rounds, push the rest"!! (I posted that on the cub cadet forum and got good response. Oh well, good luck, -BradW P.S. I am going to call you about shipping of those mowers, thanks.

Well, it didn't look anywhere as bad as the guy I got it from was complaining.(HE was just mowwng it too high and was loosing vacuum, sold them both to me cheap because he did not like how it mowed) BUT, it nowhere compares to the standard set by my Simplicity 42" deck. These two patches of green won't be here long though, In 6 hours they both were bid past the reserve on Ebay. In fact I'll bet they suprise me even more so when its all done. Never had a Simplicity/AC do so well so quick. Gues I might re-arrange my thinking, start selling green to pay for collecting and using Orange.

Sam, Since your using the JD, why don't you write up a "user report?" How does the JD compare to the Simplicity in noise, turning, pulling, mowing, comfort, component accessibility, attachment hook-up, ease of maintenance, etc.?

If we are to compare this JD111 it would size up to the Simplicity 4211, which I also have one of. Both have the same sort of "Rinky Dink" in line shift transmission and both have 11HP Briggs and 36" decks.. Noise is about the same. Turning, well the Deere is actually a little better. Pulling, I wouldn't put much faith in either of these trannys. Mowing, the Deere isn't too bad, but the Simplicity has a more refined cut and finished look. Comfort is about the same, actually I like the Deere footrests a little more because I can stretch my long legs out a little more..Component accesiblity is about equal. Maintenance, the deere has a better oil drain placement, otherwise they are about the same. Attachment hookup is about the same all said and done. I'd say its a close call, with the quality of cut maybe being the deciding factor, and the fact you can buy the Simnplicity a lot cheaper. Deere does not sell for quality but more for the social standing associated and built around the name.

I am currently building a shed (12x14). Should I consider stalls to prevent contamination of my simplicitys by "brand x" machines if my unflagging loyalty would flag slightly in the future??

Want to know something worse yet........................I mowed my yard with it too.

I was almost ready to call you "StinkinSam" until I read where you have the good sense to sell them green things. If its green you either mow it or spend it! By sheer coincidence I ran two strange lawn tractors last Friday mowing grass for the company picnic. The first was a BRAND NEW 17 hp Huskee from Tractor Supply. The piece of crap ran about an hour and went down with a wiring short, it is now at the official Huskee warranty repair center(A Ford-New Holland dealer). We then borrowed a Deere 212 to finish the job. The Deere was a dream after that Huskee piece of dried monkey dung. The only thing I noticed was that the Deere seemed much quieter than my AC's. Can anybody tell me why? I have one with a Kohler. We just did the trim work with the lawn tractors. The main mowing was done using a Jacobson L-12 fairway mower! I bought the thing at an auction last March for $1000. This machine has seven hydraulic controlled reel mowers cutting a 16 foot path at speeds up to 7 mph. Power comes from a 4 cylinder Ford farm tractor engine. I would have kept it for myself if I had a place to store it. It is an awsome grass cutter! It takes maybe 35 minutes to mow three acres.

Les, the Deere 212 uses the "Quiet Line" series from Kohler. It has the K301-QS which stands foe Quiet and S=electric start and has a big honkin muffler on it. It is quiet and it steers easy due to the steering ratio. Saying that the big failing on that series was there is only one pto...on the right side of the engine. So when tilling you can imagine the problems running belts down and all the way under the tractoe to the tiller in the back. I could hook up my Simplicity 725 tiller in 5 min. or less. This one took hours and still ate up belts until I got the adjustments just right ( I hope). Even then I believe my 7.24 hp simplicity could out till this 12 hp Deere. It really needs a 14 or 16 hp engine. Best...Ken Williams