Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
jsarro

1974 Sovereign 3416 Hydro VS 1978 7016 Sov 6 SPD

jsarro
How do these two tractors compare to each other? Pros, Cons etc.? Both are 16 HP The 3146H has manual lift VS electric lift on the 7016. Thanks in advance, I have not driven either yet.

MysTiK
Both are sovereign types. Both are pretty similar. Both originally had briggs engine. Both are RBT's. (running board tractors). 7000-series succeeded 3400-series. Both perform well. Both will share most attachments. They are both "Large Frame" tractors. Tires, not sure, probably same size. 3416H uses a Vickers hydro, which is known to have leak issues near pintle shaft (bushings) $$ to fix. Also considered by some to be a nicer hydro compared to newer Sundstrand hydro, which is considered to be 'bulletproof'. (personal preferences) (and Sundstrand is preferred by others). 7016-6speeder is actually a 3-speed with Hi/Lo - is capable of climbing trees given adequate traction, due to very low low speed capability in 1st Lo Range. Some love it. Hi range is full speed ahead; no major difference to hydro. Both BGB's are near identical except a couple of minor difference's I can't recall (minor). Different paint and decals, of course. The electric lift only was available on 7016, no hydro lift. 3400 was manual only I believe. both adaptable to hydro lift, I believe. That's all I got. All things equal, I would choose the 6spd. (personal preference only) but it is newer 4 years. Really it depends on condition. They are very closely related. But you could walk circles around your tractor w the 6 spd. One could feed a lot of parts to the other. Buy the one that feels good; esp. if it talks to you. sm01

jsarro
quote:
Originally posted by MysTiK
3416H uses a Vickers hydro, which is known to have leak issues near pintle shaft (bushings) $$ to fix. 7016-6speeder is actually a 3-speed with Hi/Lo - is capable of climbing trees given adequate traction Different paint and decals, of course. That's all I got. All things equal, I would choose the 6spd. (personal preference only) but it is newer 4 years. But you could walk circles around your tractor w the 6 spd. One could feed a lot of parts to the other. Buy the one that feels good; esp. if it talks to you. sm01
Thanks, all this info is really helpful. The 3416H I am looking at has a hyraulic leak visible from the rear of the tractor behind the seat. I have not seen it yet. Is this the pintle shaft area, and you say it is expensive to fix? The 6 speed sounds to be a good tranny and I could climb trees with it? So are you saying the 6 speed is much faster than my current tractor?

MysTiK
You better not try climbing trees. 8) It's an exaggeration to indicate the Low gear potential - 1st Gear, Low Range - is extremely slow speed - could be called a "creeper gear". Traction is the limiting factor; especially when climbing trees. :D My parts tractor is a 6-speed; it needs a motor. Other thread here, someone mentioned walking beside their tractor, picking rocks, while the tractor crawled along all by itself. Given enough rear wheel traction, it could "crawl" up any hill. This is a personal fascination stemming from my dirt bike days, climbing 60 degree slopes - dangerous! Not recommended. Do so at your own risk. OO Top speed? From my manual, at 3600 rpm: 6-speed = 6.1 mph Hydro = 7.0 mph That leak is likely the typical issue they are known for. Probably still works; top up fluid; park on cardboard, etc. Mainly messy. You could try a search for these models for more info threads. Note the 7000-series is nearly identical to the AC-700-series. Also the Simp 7100-series is nearly identical to AC-900-series. (main differences are engine - briggs vs kohler. and paint. On other 3 or 4 speed tractors, people often will install larger 8" or 10" drive pulleys to mimic the Low Range of the 6-spped's Low Range. Super low gear, also called "bull low" or "creeper" is about endless torque to the ground for things like plow or tiller, etc. but REALLY it's about more speed options, to dial in the exact desired slow speed. "Tire hookup", traction, is ultimate limiting factor - can be enhanced with tire chains, Ag Tires, wheel weights, liquid filled tires, etc. Note also, you don't shift these like a manual trans automobile - you choose the gear speed you want, and let out the clutch, and that's it - you cannot shift gears while moving - unless you like the sound of grinding metal, etc etc. Generally the desired speed for WORK is a slower speed. Little is done at top speed except "TRANSPORT". For example, I tend to mow at slow speed, cos the ride is smoother. At high speed, the bumps are not fun. There's no suspension; except maybe an aftermarket suspended seat, low tire inflation, whoopee cushion, etc. (what's a whoopee cushion?) 8D :D don't ask. 8) My "parts 6-speed" is a 716, mainly complete, no engine - I bought it for the attachments that came with it (lots). If I need parts, I shop there first - only minor stuff so far. I would rather get an engine, or another tractor similar, and mix and match and keep the 6-speed. This is also how tractors multiply all by themselves; but having a parts tractor can pay for itself easily; especially when dealing with old tractor and NLA (no longer available) parts. OR expensive parts such as BGB (bevel gear box). Excess play in BGB can kill it, and it's major surgery to repair, adjust, replace, etc. The BGB is the main reason I don't sell parts to several friends who want my parts tractor, or the parts on it. It just sits in the garage, and space is tight. hope this helps, cos i am starting to babble excessively, more than usual. There's lots to learn. Reading other threads, and also the History, etc. on simpletractors.com is good to do. But if you ask questions, people will tell you what they can, cos you are the new member guy. back at you. sm01

jsarro
MysTik, Well the 7016 I was looking at is off the table, it already sold! I'll post some pictures of my tractor I have now, later. I'm looking to buy a second tractor so I can get involved in restoration down the line. I will need one running while I work on the other. I take your suggestions to heart and will keep an eye out for a 7000 series or it's equivalent. Any other suggestions on a good second tractor will be appreciated. My concern with the 3416H is the leaky hydro. I already have my tiller on cardboard and need to fix that soon. I'm not that fond of the fumes or spilling fossil fuels everywhere. So I don't want to buy a tractor to fix a leak unless it will stay gone for a long time. Thanks