Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sliderxc

flame out the exhaust

sliderxc
I have a alis 716 and after about a half hour of running under load I get a slight pop and a bluish flame out of the exhaust now I just have the small round exhaust can on it not the original muffler could that be the problem or is there something else I am missing

MysTiK
Changing exhaust components changes the overall tuning of the engine. Flames might indicate running "rich". Adjusting high and low idle on the carb is a simple place to start perhaps. But the fact that this, as you said, appears only after half an hour of running, might indicate a heat issue. Checking the cooling system air flow is an easy place to start - mouse nest or other gummed up goo on the cooling fins might be in play. That's some basics; there could be something else going on. Did you change the muffler? When? Were these symptoms present before or after or what can you tell us more?? my 2 cents

sliderxc
well the motor is rebuilt and I never had it running prior to rebuilding it so I just threw that muffler on it and been using it. I have a stack that I am going to put on it hopefully that cures it

GLPointon
May also be an exhaust valve sticking. 1st I would set the carb to proper specs and as Mystik said check & make sure its not overheating. That can cause all sorts of symptoms...good luck