Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

i have a theif in my shop

Ronald Hribar

working on my 3212H, had problems with driveshaft, while waiting for parts, decided to put new belts on. took guard and fan off Vickers Did not like clutch and brake linkage. After reworking the linkage and a new belt, went to put fan back on. It is gone !Searched entire shop, had my wife help. It is gone. Now I will have to wait for fan if I can find one.

I'm sure it will turn up when you're not looking for it, and probably in some place you hadn't thought to look. Recently while working on my 2012 I thought I'd lost a part. I literally searched every inch of my garage - 3 or 4 different times - and could not find it. I was sure that I must have somehow gotten it mixed up with some other stuff that I'd thrown away and that it was now buried in the county landfill somewhere. So I finally gave up and decided I'd just have to order a new one. A day or two later I finally found it. I'm ashamed to say that what happened was that I had set it on one of the racks in the little fridge in my garage while I was getting a beer and forgotten about it. I hadn't found it earlier because for some odd reason I just hadn't felt like drinking any beers for the past few days. The lesson that I took from that experience was that from here on out I will not be slack in my beer drinking while I work. :D

you are right after looking on ebay $40 called dealer new $78 went thru parts that I took off they are in trays on my work bench found the fan !! sometimes even a blind squirrel finds a nut

A pal of mine bought a new tailite for one of his trailers, put it somewhere so he wouldn't lose it, that was 2 years ago, still can't find it So now when we can't find something we always say it's next to the tailite...

quote:
Originally posted by huffy
I'm ashamed to say that what happened was that I had set it on one of the racks in the little fridge in my garage while I was getting a beer and forgotten about it. I hadn't found it earlier because for some odd reason I just hadn't felt like drinking any beers for the past few days. The lesson that I took from that experience was that from here on out I will not be slack in my beer drinking while I work. :D
I find this hilarious, and oddly, this has not yet happened to me! ^ I've 'lost' plenty, but never in teh beer fridge. I guess I visit it too often ;)

About three year ago, I had for almost 20 year, a weight for the back of the 5212.5 which bolted to the hitch mount on the back of the tractor for blowing snow. Was about 45# 15" long and about 5" square, painted white at the time. Well the same thief came, and have not found it since. Look every six months or so, I look, and still MIA. Wife and kids have also looked, but ???? Since it was dedicated to this tractor, which I still use, would not have thrown out...I think. Small screws I can find on the floor, large objects not so much. B)

46 years old, and you'd think I had alzheimers... I spend more time looking for parts and tools I just set down a few minutes earlier, than I do acually working on the machineryXX( Makes me kinda mad somedaysngr2

For me I spend more time looking for tools. You know, the wrench you just had in your hand and you can't find, so you search the entire garage only to find it was in your hand the entire time!

My best way of "losing" something is to put it somewhere safe, leave the project for a while, and then going back to finish the work later. I could have written many of the previous posts.

My lost wrenches usually get "found" when I sit on a tractor and poke the seat with the wrench sticking out of my back pocket........

I don't have a theif here but I do have a ghost. He likes to come and hide stuff.Like everybody else I look all over and can't find the missing piece. Walk away and the ghost puts it back.I am still looking for the gas cap for my Bobcat in the shed.It has been 1 year now.I am sure he will bring it back some day.He does play with me alot the last couple of years and he is having fun with me.

You Know Folks we have a NEW specific forum for these behavioral practices... My Latest Tractor Senior Moment [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=33[/url] Not chasing you out of here, but Jim Dick JimDK and I twisted Kent "the mountain man" Custodian's arm to provide a Senior Moment forum, but you don't have to be a senior to post there, just have a senior moment to share! You'll stop in and say HEY! Cheers (a certified senior)

I get ready to go out, put my hat and coat on, and then spend 10 minutes looking for my hat. I'm often late for things too. crk8

quote:
Originally posted by MysTiK
I get ready to go out, put my hat and coat on, and then spend 10 minutes looking for my hat. I'm often late for things too. crk8
Same here! And by the time I find my hat pi, I no longer remember why I was headed out :Q

Some times friends will come over to get something from me....Dave "do you have..xyz....?" I'll say, yeah but that's the wrong question...should be.... Can you find it? Sure it's stored in the WHEREhouse? It has become apparent if you can't find it it's the same as if you don't have it. How many times I have ordered stuff because I can't find a part that I KNOW I have... somewheresm00

Guilty of the same habits listed, one thing I have found that helps is to use the rolling mechanics seat with a magnetic dish in the tray, the small parts go in the dish the bigger stuff in the tray, it's the parts I have to set on the floor for a moment that get lost.

Happens to me all the time. I remember a head gasket that I got for the 725. When I needed it - it was no where to be found. I looked and looked. Finally, I went out and got another one. Some time later there it was, above the bench hanging on a nail, plain as the nose on my face!

What is really bad is to clean up and organize the shop. And now I can't find anything. Note: I first typed that I 5S the shop, but that is a term that not all would have heard of. So I am curious on how many know what the term "5S" means?

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
I purposely leave my shop a mess, that way if someone breaks in they will have to work for what they steal
:Dgood one:D I discovered I don't have to clean OR organize the garage. I put everything in one messy pile. I have to search for EVERYTHING; but it's always right there in the pile - works great! Recommended.!!! yell Unfortunately, in my house, SHE 8) organized everything. It was beautiful. Just perfect. and ya know what's next, eh? - My life just kinda stopped. Everything is hidden, gone. So I go to the garage and ignore it. %:) Ummmm, you think I'm joking dontcha.

At first I thought my now 5 year old grandson helped me lose things. I do know, that if I am working when he is helping me, that his help is priceless. I can lay tools or parts down, can't find them myself, knowing they were right beside me, he always knows where they went, somehow. I try not to do too much when he is not around, because he is not there to help me find what I know I put right beside me!