Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Silly questions about tire repair from a newbie

jsarro

My left rear tire has been looking low, the tractor is tilting to the left. The tire is softer to foot pressure than the right side. I could not find the leak with the spray bottle. I went to check the tire pressure on both sides, and water came out not air. I can not get a pressure reading because water keeps coming out? Are these tire filled with water?:) What is standard pressure on rear and front tires for my tractor listed below? Thanks

Probably filled with a calcium chloride solution. Could also be washer fluid or anything else that won't freeze. Very effective form of weight. There are gauges that will read with fluid filled tires Any good farm/auto parts store should have one. They don't cost any more than a regular one. B110guy

If you rotate the tire so the valve stem is on top, it might be above the fluid level. The gauge should read regardless of fluid or not, but it might be hard on the gauge.

Thanks for going easy on me! I will rotate the tires to the top and try it. Will my standard gauge be accurate, and does the fluid effect how much pressure I should put in the tires? The tires do not appear to list a PSI. What is a rough range of pressure I should put in? I'll look it up in the manual as well. Thanks

I actually rotated the tires to the top. The gauge still would not read. The tire does not appear as low as it did now that I got it out of my shed and put it on level ground.

The tires should only have about 6-8 psi in them. If you have a gauge that goes up to 100 psi for example, 6-8 probably wouldn't even make it move.

All good advice, but be sure you don't use the recommended tire pressure of 20-25 psi with liquid in the tires, 6-8 is correct!