Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
jsarro

Hydro VS Manual Vs Shuttle Vs etc. Transmissions

jsarro
I am shopping for a second tractor, and I would like to know in particular which transmissions are very good, and which ones are problematic? What I'm looking for is a good strong transmission that is reliable and not prone to leaks or repairs. I don't mind fixing it if I have to, but I do not want something that has design defects. I want to stay away from the transmissions that have known ongoing problems. I don't mind manual shifting. Which transmissions pull the hardest and strongest? Whats your thoughts on the best transmissions out there?

RayS
Sundstrand hydro is my preference. Keep an eye on craigslist tractors wit them show up all the time. IMHO they are best for all attachments since you can slow them down to just creeping along for tilling, ect and top speed is faster than the manual shifts.

jsarro
People seem to vote for the Sunstrand transmission over Vickers. I was looking at a tractor with a Vickers Hydro. The Vickers had a leak which I guess is typical of this transmission. I don't want to repair it to only have it leak again. What are the details on the shuttle drive? Pro's Con's and reliability? What does the gear shift layout look like? Do you clutch between gears?

midnightpumpkin
My personal preference is the 6 speed setup that was offered on the 7000 series tractors. It is a HI/LO arrangement that uses two sets of pulleys and two identical belts. To select the HI/LO range, the belt tightener is simply slid over to the desired belt. The only maintenance is to occasionally lube the slider. Variable speeds are prone to a lot of wear points. Shuttles are good if the planetary has been kept lubed, do require periodic adjustments, worthless if the planetary is worn out. Just my opinion for what it's worth. John U

GLPointon
Hydrostats are great but the most bulletproof, reliable tranys are the 3 speed geared... or like John said I too like the 6 speed geared trans., most of the 3 speeds can go for 30yrs + as long as you keep the gear oil full & clean...but you do have to shift ps, with a hydrostat tractor you can have hydro lift, you can also add power steering...AWSOME ! pps, Shuttle trans is like a mechanical version of hydrostat. except no hydro lift or PS and they require multiple adjustments of belts, etc to stay working correctly. but are strong trans like the 3 speed geared

jsarro
Greg and John, Thanks for responding. I like manual transmissions as well. I have the 3 speed and I really like the "simplicity" of it. I will keep my eye out for another 3 speed or 6 speed. Are the hydros fun to drive as well? Do you only like the Sunstrand Hydro or the Vickers one as well?

RickS
Jack, I have used both the Sunstrand and the Vickers. I found the Vickers to be smoother and faster. It was easier to start the Vickers at a slow speed the Sunstrand would "jump" at first. That said my Vickers had two problems both of which are common. The first was the typical leak at the shaft. The second was the inability to back up a hill. That happens with age. There are some cures for the lack of speed or ability to back up hill. Depending on your use each tractor; gear, Vickers, Sunstrand, or Shuttle all have their good points and their bad points. It really depends on what you want to do. Rick.......

jsarro
quote:
Originally posted by RickS
Jack, That said my Vickers had two problems both of which are common. The first was the typical leak at the shaft. The second was the inability to back up a hill. That happens with age. There are some cures for the lack of speed or ability to back up hill. Rick.......
How big of a fix is the leaky Vickers hydro?

RickS
Jack, I never fixed my leak. Since I was having trouble backing the tractor up hill I swapped it (plus some cash) for a 7118H. As I remember it the leak was not very large and never affected my use. That said I know so members have rebuilt the unit, replaced it with a rebuilt unit, added o-rings to the shaft, and one member I believe put a cap on the end of the shaft to stop the link. Try searching for Vickers and you should find the posts about prices and repair. If it were me I would not worry too much about the leak as long as it is not too large. To me the reverse issue is more of a concern. Rick.....