Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RedbarnRick

Mower deck arbor end play mystery (solved!)

RedbarnRick
Hi All, I have a Legacy with the 60 inch deck that I am tearing into, I hit a 6 in. rock at the edge of my pond and it broke the center arbor blade adapter, which is the large mount above the blade. I did not find any other damage to the arbors, but I noticed another arbor with what I thought was a lot of end play, it happens to be the one nearest the chute that is counter rotating and uses a LH blade. I took it apart and everything inside is good and tight all bearing are spinning free( as much as a sealed bearing will spin). I cleaned the two housing pieces and do not see any wear or sign that the bearing froze and spun, and the lip that the bearing rests against is full thickness. The other two arbors that use RH blades are identical but have no end play. I am stumped as to why there is any play at all both housing flanges are straight and when put together there is no gap that can be seen. Has anyone ever used shims in these housings to eliminate the end play?

RedbarnRick
Well I think I figured out why one arbor had play in it and the others didn't, the shafts are 12 point splined both ends and what holds them in place is a 12 pt. self locking washer or star washer if the bearing is not fully on the bottom of the housing and the blade adapter tight to it then the self locking washer wont keep the shaft from moving up and down. The other three actually moved with a 1/16th end play once I removed those washers. New parts are on the way from Jacks so I'll try a couple pics when I reassemble the arbors in a few days.