Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
GregB

Propane conversion

GregB
Has anyone done a propane conversion on a cast iron briggs tractor? I have done web searches, for the parts, but I am looking to get some practical insight into the conversion process and hopefully success's. Before I spend $175-250

RedbarnRick
Greg, nope I'm wrong i checked the parts manual for the 326400 motor and no propane, it must have been in a service manual that I saw this. So you've added a cup holder for your beer and now you want to grill burgers while you mow, eh! What will you guys dream up next.

GrincheyOne
How about a wood-burning box off the rear-lift hitch, and diverting the unburnt gases to the engine. Much like the wood burning cars in Scandinavia during WWII. Think how "comfy" that would be during snow removal! also a good way to use up all those odd sized branches that are too weird for the wood stove.}:) Wayne

split51
I just removed an add-on propane system from a B112. It ran really good and the engine is extremely clean inside. It was just a pain for me to refill it. If I would have had a fill tank at my house, I would have left it on

GregB
Tim, The real funny part is I repeatedly searched on Propane, propane conversions .... could'nt find my own comment. :D I actually talked to a couple of propane sales conversion peoples this week. One insisted that the adaptor would bolt with two tru bolts between the air cleaner and carb body. Not on a updraft briggs carb :O So again I am trying to find a company that sells a kit to convert Briggs horizontal cast irons to propane L-P gas.

dhardin
http://theepicenter.com/tow102899.html the newer propane mower are using a tank that delivers liquid to the specially deigned carb that vaporized just before going into the chamber. Some of the older stander (simple) conversions can and have had a problem with freezing up.

MysTiK
Propane freezes at about -34. Cars or trucks use a heater/warmer from engine heat to prevent this. This is why in extreme cold, propane people idle vehicles all night. Conversion equip is remarkably simple - this is not rocket science - just gotta be done right. This all started when propane was dirt cheap circa 1970's-80's. For a good decade or two it was great - then propane went up as if by magic to mimic the price of gas. Oil fractionating waste products - somehow became gold. A clean fuel. go green?? incentive?? =$$= ?? huh?? Did the price go down again?? Oil is crashing now - speculators. I doubt we will see much at the pump - how does that work? }:) grrrr.:(!

MysTiK
quote:
Originally posted by dhardin
http://theepicenter.com/tow102899.html the newer propane mower are using a tank that delivers liquid to the specially deigned carb that vaporized just before going into the chamber. Some of the older stander (simple) conversions can and have had a problem with freezing up.
According to this link, you need a regulator. That's the big item. They suggest a carb conversion - but it's more like a plugged up carb - and that in lieu of a propane "carb" - this is simply fitting to the intake. No rocket science. The existing carb fits already - jam it up - plug in propane. Attention to details is important. Leaks appear as "freeze up" at normal atmospheric pressure. Looks just like snow. No snow is a good thing. If it works on a simple barbecue, it's pretty simple. Regulator, rejet, hoses, carb mod w rejets and silicone plugging. What's the price of propane now compared to gasoline, in your area?? Problem is always the tank, fitting the tank somewhere, and also the size of the tank, and also refilling the tank. Having a portable pressure hose with propane standard fittings allows access to sharing refill from a larger tank - as in home heating big tank. This is the roadside assistance thing for propane, when you run out of 'propane gas'. It's important to know how to properly handle this stuff. But it's not difficult to learn. It's a regulator on bbq technology. But if freeze up is happening, then the required pressure is not being maintained. Something is leaking. Big thing is the price. apart from that the products of combustion are CO2 and H2O. Oil stays clean. Compression, rings, etc. could cause H2O in oil. Exhaust may need drains to avoid rust out. A friend had propane in a chev station wagon taxi. Had 2 long narrow tanks in the spare tire compartment. Tanks were piped together. Basic regulator. And an actual propane "carb". Plus a heater to avoid winter freeze. If they freeze in winter - like minus 35 weather - the only way is to tow to a heated garage, and wait about 4 hours. The heater "hose" I think connected to regulator and ran the radiator to slightly warm the propane and prevent freeze in severe cold. My friend ran dual exhausts and drilled both mufflers at low points for drainage of H20 - tiny holes. Clean exhaust is nice. Propane smells sour kinda awful during refills - due to a bleeder valve. It all depends on price.??? disclaimer: Note this is not a recipe. I am not an expert. Don't follow my words on how to do this safely and properly. I don't know anything. Consult a professional for proper installation. 8) 8D :D