Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mack

Brinly Planter

Mack
Any planter owners out there that are using their planters? I recently picked up a KK-200 sleeve hitch planter. Got it tore apart and cleaned up today. Hope to have it repainted by the end of the week. Have only been able to find a 300 series manual online and have emailed Brinly for information specific to the 200 model. Planning on using graphite powder instead of oil or grease to lubricate it when it goes back together to keep it from gumming up from the dirt and dust. Just wondering if anyone has some tips or tricks when using these.
[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Mack/IMG_1280.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Mack/IMG_1282.jpg[/img]

Mack
Apparently, not many here with experience with these. Received this email today though.
quote:
Hi Paul, Attached is a manual for the KK-200. Is there any other information you would like on it? Have a great weekend! Jennifer Caffee Customer Service/Inside Sales 3230 Industrial Pkwy | Jeffersonville, IN 47130 812-218-7208 direct | 888-619-2315 fax brinly.com | spyker.com
Unfortunately the response to my query on parts availability was -
quote:
Hi Paul, I don’t believe we have any parts left for these units. They are very old. Let me know if I can do anything else for you. Thank you, Jennifer Caffee Customer Service/Inside Sales 3230 Industrial Pkwy | Jeffersonville, IN 47130 812-218-7208 direct | 888-619-2315 fax brinly.com | spyker.com
Fortunately, this unit is mostly complete. Needs a little repair on the fertilizer delivery funnel but has the all important (to me) sweet corn seed plate.

RandySm
I used one of the planters for many years. I think I gave about 75 bucks for it back then. Mine came with 7 different seed plates but mostly we used the corn and been plates. I had to overcome a couple problems with it tho.... It planted the corn just too far apart so I wound up making another seed sprocket to speed the plate up a little. Also the wheel was real bad to skip and slide on the loose soil especially if it was worked up very fine. I really hated to, but finally drilled the wheel and spaced some bolts thru to give it some friction in the loose soil. Worked perfect after that! My last problem was I just planted more than I needed because it went so fast.

Talntedmrgreen
Well Mack, half the battle is getting a response out of a current day Customer Service person who's likely only 22 or so...on a piece of equipment older than they are young. Frankly, I'm tickled they responded with a manual, and took the time to tell you they didn't have the parts. Beats sitting around waiting for an answer. Perhaps my standards are too low, but any response nowadays is a good sign indiacating that at least they listen ^ I've only ever seen one in action, and didn't think much of it at the time (being Grandad's little 'watcher'). Now that I plant by hand, I realize the value! ;) I think you have a neat piece, and will soon be showing the rest of us just how handy that thing is!

Mack
quote:
Originally posted by RandySm
I used one of the planters for many years. I think I gave about 75 bucks for it back then. Mine came with 7 different seed plates but mostly we used the corn and been plates. I had to overcome a couple problems with it tho.... It planted the corn just too far apart so I wound up making another seed sprocket to speed the plate up a little. Also the wheel was real bad to skip and slide on the loose soil especially if it was worked up very fine. I really hated to, but finally drilled the wheel and spaced some bolts thru to give it some friction in the loose soil. Worked perfect after that! My last problem was I just planted more than I needed because it went so fast.
Thanks for the reply Randy. The manuals I have looked at show three different sprocket combinations to control seed spacing and a big chart to go by.sm00 After studying the 200 manual it looks like I have two of the three sprockets when I thought I only had one. I was concerned about the drive wheel not turning and that was one of the main reasons I took it all apart for a good cleaning before even trying it in the field. Josh, I was very pleased with the response from Brinly! Especially after the runaround I had with the guy at Kwik Way a while back. ngr2

Mack
Have it operational as a planter. Still need some work on the fertilizer hopper to complete it. Gave it a dry run thru the garden this afternoon. Every thing moved smoothly and will test run with some seed in it to check depth and spacing yet this evening.

Chris727
Looks great! I could be wrong, but I think cole manufactured those planters for Brinly. They are still in business and might be able to help you with parts.