Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Muffler Woas... Again.

MittenB10

Experienced some muffler issues again on the B10 (23D) last week. For those of you that followed along in my search for a muffler [url]http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=120764[/url] I picked up a STENS from TEwarehouse.com. Ran it for about a month and then it decided to come unglued and the insides basically came out.

Having only run it for a month I contacted TE Warehouse to see what we could work out. They're completely covering it and shipping a new one out to me. Great service! Now considering some tack welds on the seams of the new one though.

Was this the muffler you bought? Stens Part Number 105-262 If so, how did it muffle your engine? I currently have a pepper-pot on my briggs 16 hp single. It leaves something to be desired...

Uhm, what was that piece in the foreground, looks a mite bit twisted! There was a recent article on building a muffler similar to what you have, I can't find it, but someone here was probably smart enough to bookmark it.

Rick, Was this the post you are looking for? http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=115708 I am curious to hear how that one worked, as well.

Mike that was a good article but I found this recent one in show and tell that looks like the same insides. Excellent work and easy to convert to a single cylinder muffler. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=121366

quote:
Originally posted by RedbarnRick
Uhm, what was that piece in the foreground, looks a mite bit twisted! There was a recent article on building a muffler similar to what you have, I can't find it, but someone here was probably smart enough to bookmark it.
HA! That was my turnout I made for it that was crafted out of a (don't laugh) chrome p-trap adapter. That dropped first and found its way through the mower deck.

Yes sir! It worked very well. I ran it on the more vertical plane rather than horizontal like the original muffler would have been positioned and just crafted a turnout so it didn't blow exhaust all over the left tire. Worked great. Considering some tack welds or brazing the seams on the new one when it comes in though.
quote:
Originally posted by mike_sdak
Was this the muffler you bought? Stens Part Number 105-262 If so, how did it muffle your engine? I currently have a pepper-pot on my briggs 16 hp single. It leaves something to be desired...

Thanks for the follow-up. In my 917 with briggs 16 single, I think I could use a muffler like this, to use the factory original exhaust outlet hole. If I could find 1-1/4" ID aluminized pipe, it would work good. Otherwise, I will need to use flex pipe, or 1" Sch 40 steel.

I ran into a similar issue and found that you could run the muffler backwards and it worked just fine. Slid over the original pipe coming out of the head on my 23D. Now.. since this is just a series of baffles and holes... I cannot imagine that this would create back pressure.
quote:
Originally posted by mike_sdak
Thanks for the follow-up. In my 917 with briggs 16 single, I think I could use a muffler like this, to use the factory original exhaust outlet hole. If I could find 1-1/4" ID aluminized pipe, it would work good. Otherwise, I will need to use flex pipe, or 1" Sch 40 steel.