Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Possible purchase...

junkpile

I've been looking at what appears at least to be very clean used 7119H. The original owner has all the manuals, repair records etc, and the machine is in excellent original shape. My concern is that when I went to look at the tractor, he had a 4x6 trailer full of dirt hitched up to it, probably about 3/4 yard or so of dirt on a hefty trailer. I took the thing for a ride around the field behind his house and noticed it made a grinding or chattering sound when pulling uphill if I didn't have the engine at or new full throttle pulling that trailer. It seemed to pull it with no problem, but if I let the engine RPM get too low under load I got that chattering sound from underneath me. It never stopped, it just made noise. All of my other machines are gear driven, not hydro. When it first did it, the owner ran over and bumped the throttle way up. The manual states to run the throttle up when using the tractor but it seemed to make the engagement real sensitive. Taking off with the engine wide open nearly flips the thing over backward if your not REAL gentle with the hydro lever. Is this normal? There also seemed to be a very narrow 'neutral' area within the neutral notch. Meaning that if the lever was not dead center in this area, it would creep forward or backward. The gate for the shifter didn't look worn. Is it just a matter of getting used to it or is this the way the hydro models operate? He did have two other machines which weren't for sale that seemed just as touchy, but I didn't try those with the trailer. He's asking $300 for the machine, it runs like new, looks super clean, has no play in the bevel gear box, and other than that chatter or ratcheting sound, the hydro unit works great. Without the trailer the thing was FAST, far faster than any of my 3400, or 7000 series models. Could running the engine too slow cause a chattering or ratchet noise? (The engine slowed to almost a dead stop before it made the noise, but never stalled).

Running low engine speed will cause chatter whine noises IF it's under load. such as climbing a trailer ramp. also when cold maybe worse. Faster engine speed helps a lot. 3/4 yard in a trailer is a VERY heavy load - but i would think if you were on level ground, the chatter would smooth out when rolling. Tractor ALONE, going uphill, 30 degree incline, when warm, at half throttle, s/b quiet, normal. But when you make them really haul, i would expect some noise. It's hard to say without being there. The other rocket take off scenario is due to hyper lever; you have to ease the shifter forward until you get the feel of it, then it's easier to control. 300 sounds cheap for that tractor. If the hydro is pulling hard on take off like you said, it's probably ok. If you buy it, change the fluid and filter immediately. When you get used to the hydro stick, you should be able to drink coffee while driving. sm01 others may have other opinions, that's mine - like I said, you gotta be there to hear it and drive it. It's almost like they are pulsing rapidly, and under strain, it's the pump working harder to keep up the demand for more fluid, more pressure. There's a condition called "cavitation"; not sure what that is exactly; but it's about lack of fluid under certain conditions, perhaps air in system. There's a pressure relief valve than might help. Best to read the manual. On fluid change, purging is simple go full forward, full reverse, then neutral - couple times - but it's fully described in some manuals better than others, etc. my 3 cents, value accordingly.

When I test drove it with the trailer on I went down hill towards the rear of the property, and uphill coming back. Maybe a 10% grade or so in soft dirt. The trailer was super heavy and piled up over 6' high,it started to bog down in the dirt heading uphill when it made all the noise. I really thought that it either shattered a driveshaft coupler or tore apart the bevel gear box, it was that metallic of a noise. It also has a huge weight rack on the back, which extends the rear hitch about a foot, plus 300lbs or so of front suitcase weights on it. It also has the rear tires filled with liquid. I doubt the front weights would be needed without the extended trailer hitch which adds leverage to what is already extreme tongue weight. The trailer was one of those single axle military trailers with the huge tires and pintle hitch. He had welded on higher sides and was using it to haul dirt around a small farm. When throttled up, it didn't make any noises, but the noises sounded like the gears had exploded or something, I was thinking to myself at least it broke before I bought it but it did go away with more engine speed. The hydraulic lift worked, the tires look new, it comes with chains, the weight rack which appears made to hold 4 cinder blocks, but he's got four steel bars the size of cinder blocks on it instead. He's got receipts for a new engine last year, new tires the year before, and a ton of other new parts, including a new seat, new wheel bearings, and a re-manufactured transaxle from the selling dealer in 2010. It also comes with a snow plow, spare sleeve hitch, and a Brinly disc and plow.

quote:
It also comes with a snow plow, spare sleeve hitch, and a Brinly disc and plow.
If that's the case, for three hundred, it would already be in my garage!

The trans / hydro on these are pretty bulletproof. The BGB can be checked fairly easily by checking for slop and end play between the two shafts when the machine is shut off and on level ground. All of that being said, when they add weight up the gazoo to the rear and load the tires and add weight in front and pull huge loads with it, anything can break or seriously wear eventually. Hydros will whine. More so when under load or at low RPM's. My 7119H also has a gear howl. Not sure what it is but it's there and has been since I have owned it. I have not heard any hydro's that make "metalic" noises or sounding like something broke, heavy chattering, etc. Now, even if it is a major issue (BGB, Trans) the tractor is well worth the $300. With all of the attachments and if as clean as you say, it is likley worth three-four times that or more if there are no major driveline issues. If parted, the new (year old) engine alone is worth nearly a grand by itself (if truly a new engine). For the price and what you say about all of the weights added and loads being hauled and the noises you speak of, if it were me I would assume something is amiss in the driveline. That being said, I would still buy the tractor, in a heartbeat. Or sooner. PS welcome to the club!

The noise could also be from the belt/clutch if you were getting close to stall with the hydro. As far a hydro jurkiness and neutral, both are adjustable. I like a soft spring box on the hydro lever and know some here like a solid spring box. With a soft box you move the lever and it takes a second or two to get the full response.

1. Sounds to me like this outfit was grossly overloaded. 2. The part about being almost thrown off when starting to move could be loose bolts where the bevel gearbox is bolted to the frame. I bought a 716 one time, sight unseen, dirt cheap because the guy told me the hydro was toast. Pushed it off the trailer when I got home and had it fixed in about 15 minutes. 3. It's about an 8 hour drive for me but I,m ready to leave now!

All that weight stuff - I'm thinking it had a loader on it. But at 300, you have room to replace a few items. And the attachments - it's like a free tractor. Give him a kiss and the 300, and run before he changes his mind. Actually if you did not buy it already, it's gonna be gone. This is one of those deals where you need to abandon everything and go buy immediately. at 300, there's no way to lose. Most I see list at 8+ with just a mower. I agree w Jack "I don't think you can lose for that price with all that new stuff." .

I went last Sunday and bought the tractor, I've been using it all week and its not made any of those noises for me yet. I did notice that if I don't run at higher RPM, and am pulling something heavy, the brake pedal will bounce up and down a bit, its quite possible that's what I heard. I removed some of the weight, he had five 8x8x12 steel bars on the weight box on the rear, with the hitch extended off the back of the weight box, then 100lbs on the rims, the tires are filled, plus three 100lb lead 'bricks' up front, plus a home made rack and suitcase weights out front. Plus 2 link spaced V bar tire chains. I removed the weight box, I had to drill and tap each rear block of steel just to lift them off. Each one weighs over 210lbs. (x5). I also removed the wheel weights for now, and the suitcase weights and brackets since they got in the way of opening the hood. The look homemade, it looks like he may have copied some weights from a larger tractor but saw cut them out of 2" plate steel. I pulled the front wheel bearings and relubed those, surprisingly they were like new. He gave me receipts for the past 23 years, most were from the last two years. They include a new Kohler Magnum 20hp twin in August of 2011, a dealer 'serviced and resealed the hydrostatic transaxle' in 2010 for $833. The same dealer replaced two bevel gears, one shaft, and several shims in the BGB in July of 2011, he bought four new Titan tires from a JD dealer for $377 in March or 2011, a new hood and decals in 2007, a new seat in 2005, and he bought $891 worth of steel bar stock in 2007, $35 worth of angle iron, and two 4x4'x2" steel plates for $118 used from a scrap metal dealer. I have the original shop manual, original owners manual, and about 40 other receipts for various items and repairs. It will most likely only get used here to plow the garden and move snow when needed. I'd like to find a deal on a roto tiller for it. The first thing I did was change all the fluids, I doubt it really needed it but I wanted to know what was in it. The only major thing I need to address is a loose steering column. It feels like it's missing the upper bushing. I also need to find the rod to work the sleeve hitch, he's got a homemade bar in there with Heim joints that is rubbing everything. I also want to hook up the headlights so they work only with the key, he's got them wired direct to the battery with a switch. I'm still in awe at how fast this thing is, if I weren't on it, I'd have a hard time catching it, its more than double the speed of my 3410. How fast are these supposed to go all out? This thing is fast enough to be uncomfortable to say the least.

Top speed forward is about 7 mph. maybe 8. The many mentions of weight in this thread are, for me, not even believable. The maintenance records same. New engine? insane. 300? off the scale. TILT. I'm not saying you are stringing us along - but, sorry, I personally just find this all to be really pushing the limits of credibility. That's just the experience I am having. What am I missing - a lot I guess. I would remove all the weights and get back to normal; then add as needed. And sell the rest to anyone interested. This is the most outrageous deal I have ever seen. Only thing possibly better would be a gift. even that might not compare. I feel like I am dreaming this. one of those very strange dreams.

I picked it up using a buddies three axle trailer. I wasn't thinking about the weight, just the bulk. My trailer is a cut down pop up trailer, which just wouldn't have the space. The guy had the thing listed at the super market on the yellow card bulletin board. A buddy tore off his number and brought it to me. I later found out it was on CL with no pic a while back. Its the most I've paid for any of my machines, but by far the best looking overall. At least this one has paint. My 3410 was $50, it was running but wouldn't idle, it came with a newer 16hp motor, a dirt plow, and wagon. It was on CL, listed as "Two parts tractors -$50, it came with a not running 3410H, which I got running with a carb overhaul and new battery, plus four tires. The reason I posted here is because I'm still leery about this thing having some major issue not worth fixing, I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would spend that much on anything and basically give it away, but along the same thinking, I trash picked a near new Honda push mower today that only needed a spark plug. The plug was broken, missing the tip. The mower sells new for $699, someone just tossed it when it wouldn't start. The same trash pile had three perfectly good garden hoses, a half dozen large planters, a three drawer Craftsman tool box with the key in the lock, and a cross bow. Last week I trash picked a Snapper rider that ran fine but had no deck, it has a perfect running Magnum 18 horizontal shaft motor. The guy even helped load it. On the down side, I've tried selling tractors and had little to no luck. Last year I had decided to sell my 3415H, which had been repowered with a used 16hp Briggs as well, it had no deck, ran perfect, but no attachments. I listed it for $300 or best offer, I never got a single legitimate offer. The highest offer was $50. It was listed for over 6 months, I finally just parted it out to fix the 3410H which was in better cosmetic shape. In my book the 1991 16hp motor alone was worth what I was asking. I've run across all sorts of garden tractors lately at auctions too, its rare that any brake the $100 mark. If they do it's not by much. A buddy bought a 7116H last month at an auction up north for $125 at auction, it looks almost new, complete with snow plow, snow blower, and rear hitch, weights, and chains. It too had four new tires, all four still had the decal glue on the tread. To be honest, I've never paid more than $250 for any machine or even a lot of machines for that matter in the past. The price on this one was cheap, but to be honest, how many would pay more? I got the impression I may have been the only one to show up and look at it. regardless of all the recent new parts, as a complete tractor, they don't add much value, its still a 30 year old machine in uncertain condition. The part that got me the most was why he'd let the steel weights go for so cheap. I sort of figured he added up the weight and figured on scrap weight, at $11 per 100lbs right now you have the asking price if you figure about 3,000 lbs in all. I'm still waiting for something to just break, but you never know. Being that I can't duplicate the noise here, all I can do it use it. If it breaks, I'll part it out or fix it I guess. The part I like the best about this machine is the hydraulic lift, after hoisting a Brinly plow and disc by hand for years, the hyrdo lift will be nice. I'll most likely add a set of AG tires filled with fluid and leave it at that. I may also leave one of the lead weights up front for ballast weight, or maybe just rely on the filled front tires. The home made suitcase weights are way too heavy, as is 300 lbs under the front end. It would be nice to just be able to haul this where I need it without a super sized trailer too. I used it today to yank out a few shrubs, it handled that task without a so much as a whimper. Top speed is way faster than 8 mph. I'd guess its at least 12 or 15 mph. If the hood isn't latched down, it'll bounce up going across the back lot, which isn't a lawn but its not rough at all. I have no doubt it would flip over if I tried turning at full speed. I'd have to say its more like a moderate jogging speed or better. I have never had any tractor that ran this fast. Its fast enough that I went out and borrowed a tachometer to make sure I wasn't running the motor way over it's maximum speed, but the motor tops out at around 3670 RPM wide open throttle on the digital tach. It tops out around 3400 moving on flat ground WOT. For what ever reason the throttle lever will go a bit further but the motor won't take it, it sort of bogs like when you push a smaller engine throttle open and the choke closes. I just don't push the thing that hard. So far its also been super hard on fuel, I burned up almost the whole tank of fuel today pulling out two shrubs along the driveway and used it to pull a cart a few times. When it grunts and pulls hard, it drinks a lot gas in a hurry.