Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Foot Dragger vs Running Board Tractor

jsarro

What are the pros and cons? Do you have a preference, and why? If you like both equally, why? Thank You for your participation!

My only experience so far is with a foot dragger. I like it very much so far, but I have nothing to compare it to.

To me, the biggest improvement on the RBT is in the steering The running board problem can be fixed as I did on my 3314, now I have the best of both.:D

Because I have an RBT, I am very curious about foot draggers. I have a sense that the FDT in good shape is perhaps a better tractor. I don't know much about details of FDT - I have demonstated that a few times when trying to help out - oops. They are different. I like the image with bug eye lights. One with a loader - priceless.

I have both, like both. Besides the fact that the fdt's are older and therefore, in my opinion, better built, I don't think there are many advantages to either. I do know that having both, I have to remember what I am driving before putting down my feet or I just might run myself over! Steve

Kohler powered RBT's all the way:D! Less headaches on the Kohler chargings systems No belts on the starter to loosen up or break. Broken starter belt on Briggs FDT's & RBT's up to 1977 requires unhooking the driveshaft to fix On an RBT you dont have to remove the upper dash to work on anything in the driveline like you do a FDT Steering wheels are easier to get off an RBT More room overall in an RBT to work and/or do modifacations Steering gear assembly is way better on an RBT Mower decks on late 7000/700 series and 7100/900 series are easier to rebuild than on the earlier units With the exception of the B-200/3200 series tractors, Bevel gear boxes on RBT's have a beefier input shaft Cone clutch PTO's on RBT's are a vast improvement over the old FDT center PTO's. Just a few thoughts off the top of my head;)

A couple of my thoughts. FDT are shorter, tighter turning radius, and have that nice big space where your feet can get planted straight down on the grader blade for downforce. RBT tractors are larger, and sit higher than FDT's. Cone clutch definate improvement. I have both, use both. Like any other tool, the right one for the job. As long as its says Allis :D

I have both. The attachments I use on the FDT: grader blade, sickle mower, dozer blade. All other attachments I use a RBT. Though the snowthrower is easiest to mount on the FDT, and I have cabs for both, I find the 917 hp is nice on the snowthrower.

I have and have had both. My alltime favorite is still the '64 B10 that I bought in '84. For everyday use I love the 3400 series. I think my '59 700 is the cutest of all even though it needs restored. In my opinion the most miserable thing I've owned was a '91 Sovereign with P/S and hydro lift. Would not hold a straight line while mowing, Could never get an attachment at the right height and I couldn't relax while mowing because I was constantly fiddling with the hydro trying to find the right ground speed. I know I'll probably catch it from a lot of you large frame guys but please keep in mind these are only my opinions based on what I've experienced with these tracrors. Maybe this wasn't even 2 cents worth.:D:D:D

I agree, get both, and then it doesn't matter! I love my AC 712H, but I wouldn't give up my Simplicity 2110 for anything.

I like my collection of foot draggers,I owned one R/B tractor but didn't like it. If you get stuck it easy to put your feed down and push you cant do that with a RBT.:D

I guess I should have mentioned that I don't own a large frame tractor, all mine are small frames. My workhorse is the Allis 810GT (RBT) which gets all the snow duty in the winter. Then for mowing, I have a 616 yeoman (FDT) with hi-lo and 32 inch deck which I love to mow with. For play I have another 616 (FDT) with many modifications that I use with the tiller and the front blade. I also have an Allis B206E (RBT) that i occasionally mow with. The 810 also gets the tiller once in a while and is now ready to pull a 10 inch moldboard, maybe try it out next spring. My place is just too small for a large frame tractor, I can't even use the 810 to mow with because the deck is just too wide. Finally, I have two wonderboys, one stick steer and one steering wheel steer. No running boards on either of them. Bottom line is, if you are having fun, you got the right tractor under you! Steve

Thanks for all the responses! All the feedback is helpful. The answer seems to be they are both great tractors, and go with what works for you and what you have fun on. I'll have to try out a RBT and use my FDT for a while to add more to this conversation. The best answer though "you must have both when it comes to tractors."