Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Multipurpose hitch (pics)

jsarro

I have searched and reviewed prior posts with info on awesome ball hitches on this forum. I want to be able to utilize a 1 7/8" ball for my 5 X 8 trailer to haul around wood and stone. I also want to be able to pull a garden dump cart around. What is the solution for me to be able to do both when one is a ball mount and carts are usually pin mount? Which hitch set up do you like best and why? Will a hitch interfere with other rear mount implements? Should I make a hitch, or are they fairly easy to track down for sale?

Thanks for the input!:p:o)8D:D

they are easy to make from the drawings in [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/attachments/ball_hitch.htm[/url] with this you can use drawbar or ball hitch and easly detachable.

quote:
Originally posted by Dark
they are easy to make from the drawings in [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/attachments/ball_hitch.htm[/url] with this you can use drawbar or ball hitch and easly detachable.
That looks great, thanks!

Jack, If you want to go the quick and easy route, you can drill the hole in your drawbar out to 3/4" and your ball will fit. I did it to one of mine which was worn anyway. Not the perfect solution, but it worked for me.

This is the one I made. It raises with the rear lift. The attachments bolt on with two bolts and slide vertically in the slot. With one like this you can mount both a ball at a higher point, and a hitch for a small trailer below. You can lift the hitch to level the trailers.

How about making the plate where the ball mounts a little longer and drill a hole behind the ball for pulling the small trailer with the hitch pin???

That is EXACTLY what I have been trying to engineer in my head! Mounting a ball is easy enough, but I wanted to be able to back up, raise the trailer, and move it around my pole barn without having to hop off and lower the jack onto the trailer. Did you make the upper yolk that holds the vertical mount? Is the rod that goes into the lift assembly just a piece of 1" round stock?

One inch round stock in the lift, that is welded to the "U" shaped piece of flatbar. The vertical part of the hitch is angle iron. I made that hitch from whatever I could find in my metal collection. When I made it I was trying to make it easy to move my trailers around. I have a hydrolift on that tractor. I wanted to put the ball under the coupler and lift the ball into the coupler and then higher so that I could move a trailer without even cranking up the tongue jack. I used it a couple times, then I got my FEL and put a ball on the bucket so that I could watch the trailer as I was moving it. That makes it much easier to back trailers into tight places. If I need to shuffle trailers, since I have 4, I then use both rigs.

quote:
Originally posted by JimDk
Jack, If you want to go the quick and easy route, you can drill the hole in your drawbar out to 3/4" and your ball will fit. I did it to one of mine which was worn anyway. Not the perfect solution, but it worked for me.
Thanks for the quick solution. I am considering taking up welding, and this would be a first good project to build a hitch.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
This is the one I made. It raises with the rear lift.
Very nice design, well done!

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
That 1969 Simplicity 3112V sure is a nice looking tractor.
Ray, Thank you very much. It is fun to drive and my kids love it also. Now I just need to get every attachment so I can invent things to use the tractor for daily. We'll have to do another post about this. I love this tractor so far!dOd

I have some small 5/8" shaft 1-7/8 ball on my tractors. These seem to have fallen out of favor and I was only able to find a new one at a TCS. They won't even sell them mail order!!! These can fit on the existing tab on my Broadmoor's and 3400&7000 tractors buy opening the existing hole by only a fraction....this size ball also easily fits on the tab of the lawn vacuum attachment, which also needs a trailer!!! You do not have the raise/lower feature of the hitch offered here ( which looks great) but I don't have to hook and unhook or even need the lifting cable. My 3400 cuts grass and does leaves and therefore doesn't need a rear lift but I love hooking one of my trailers and running it around the yard hauling stuff.sm06 Growing the tab holes all the way to 3/4 seemed excessive for my equipment.