Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rusted Exhaust Pipe Allis B-10

globalmkts

Can't get the heavily rusted pipe out. Afraid something will break. Chiseled old "coffee can" style muffler from pipe. End of pipe (1 1/4") is smooth. Not threaded. What can I do? Have replacement B&S muffler w/ 6" 1 1/4" NPT pipe attached. Can't use it unless I cut it back & clamp on? Where can I get a clamp that will work? Any suggestions????????. Desperate! Bill Lynch

YOU CAN STILL GET THE ORIGINAL MUFFLER FOR AROUND $40.00 OR A LITTLE LESS. ANY AGCO DEALER OR EVEN SIMPLICITY DEALER WILL HAVE IT. AGCO918

Bill, try soakin it with PB blaster or Areo Kroil for a day or two, park it in front of the house a give it a shot every time you walk by. Coca-cola has also "saved the day" a time or two. Caution I was told with coke, if you don't win in an hour or 2 was it off good with the likes of WD-40..MPH

Have you tried any of the rust penetrators like wd-40 or crc 3-36??????? Warm the thread area up (just warm, not hot)and spray penetrant on, let set overnite. Do this for three or four days in a row. Time consuming, but it has worked for me more than once. my 2 cents. Good luck. Dick

My pipe broke off even with the engine block.I used a small sharp chisel to make two cuts in the peice left in the block.Then took an old screwdriver and pried it out.Cuts don't need to be thru the peice of pipe,just score it good. Good Luck,Jim

never tryed this but take an oil filter tighener/losener for your car, fit it around and try that, my best guess is WD-40 or another form of penatrant. brendon

I got one out one time by soaking in WD40 then heating with a propane torch, but be careful!!! NUMBER ONE concern with heat is lighting the WD40 OR SOMETHING ELSE on fire, Number two concern is that the aluminum head on the Briggs wont take much heat. What I did was put a large vise grips on the pipe, applied heat to the threads, then tapped the vise grips with a hammer. The pipe is standard threads and one inch diameter, any hardware or farm store will have a short length of pipe and a universal muffler to thread on it. I have been running my B-210 this way for 7 years now. Make *&%$ darn sure you have a fire extinguisher handy if you use a flame torch for heat.

Check to see if there is a lock nut{like used on condut} right next to the engine, mine did, after breaking it loose first the pipe came out pretty good...MPH

Try taking a new hacksaw blade and with the teeth pointing out, make 3 equally spaced cuts (from the inside out)in the pipe. You should cut the pipe off flush with the head before doing this. stop cutting when you see the threads (they will become visible as you cut). after making the cuts use a chisel and knock the pieces towards the center. they should eventually dislodge and then you can remove them. don't be afraid about cutting to deep, the threads are pipe thread and the word is go slow. It works on cars all the time and I've never had a leak. penetrating oil is ok but sometimes it just doesn't work

After you get the old pipe out paint some Permatex anti-seize on the threads before installing and you will never have problems removing the pipe/muffler in the future. PS. you will need a locking nut (jam nut) to hold in place. Good Luck. Mike S.

Tory, Tony gave you a good way to do the job. DO NOT get in a hurry and you'll do fine. One addition; Before you screw in you new muffler take a piece of 1" threaded pipe and turn it into the threads a little at a time backing it out and then back in until you've gone all the way. This re-aligns the aluminum threads in the exhause port. Good luck, Marion W. Kerr

What I did to my Simplicity 700 was losen he lock nut, then I put on a pipe wrench, stood on a folding chair and kicked the wrench, after 3 kicks I could just do it myself with my hands turning works great, give it a try.-BradW