Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
huffy

Steering wheel flip

huffy
I was just checking out MDB's post in the Show & Tell forum about the tractor with the trencher that he's about to start restoring. I noticed that the steering wheel's mounted backwards. The steering wheel was mounted backwards on my tractor when I bought it. And, I've seen several listed on Craigslist and eBay with the steering wheel mounted backwards. Why do people do this? I mean, as small as these tractors are it doesn't seem like someone would have to flip the steering wheel backwards just to be able to reach it.

D-17_Dave
Some people just don't pay attention and it will bolt up either way. They may switch it to aid a small child driving it or the rack may slip under load and the wheel get off center enough to be reversed. Any number of reasons. accidental or on purpose.

MDB
quote:
Originally posted by huffy
I was just checking out MDB's post in the Show & Tell forum about the tractor with the trencher that he's about to start restoring. I noticed that the steering wheel's mounted backwards. The steering wheel was mounted backwards on my tractor when I bought it. And, I've seen several listed on Craigslist and eBay with the steering wheel mounted backwards. Why do people do this? I mean, as small as these tractors are it doesn't seem like someone would have to flip the steering wheel backwards just to be able to reach it.
And that will be very high on the list of things to be corrected on that particular tractor.....:D

MysTiK
It's about putting feet up on the hood and while driving, saluting to the camera, with a cold one, and a stupid look on one's face, for extra added humour. Of course this ends best by driving into the swimming pool, thus requiring a new cold one. 8) No traxtors were demolished in the making of this post. sm00 :J cop fish

HubbardRA
When I had the original steering wheel on my 700, I put it on backward because it was much easier to open the hood with the steering wheel mounted that way. I thought that was the reason the wheel was not a full circle.

huffy
quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
When I had the original steering wheel on my 700, I put it on backward because it was much easier to open the hood with the steering wheel mounted that way. I thought that was the reason the wheel was not a full circle.
That actually makes a lot of sense. if I were smaller I might flip mine back over for increased hood clearance. But, unfortunately, for me belly clearance is much more of a concern.

MysTiK
huffy, you better fix that, dontcha know. :D Add a Simp "Pacer" to your collection; excellent cut, gets into, under, around, or through EVERYTHING. And lots of exercise too. It's a cool mower. It will climb trees too. 8)

Willy
One of mine is bass ack words because I didn't notice it until it was buttoned up and I was to lazy to change it. Someday I'll have to work on it again and I'll change it if I remember.:D