Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Newbie with Simplicity questions

mattinky

Hello everyone, my name is Matt and I'm new here. I've always been a fan of AC garden tractors, I've had a 611LT and a 616 Special for years. I bought the pictured Simplicity today and I'm curious as to what model it is. The only markings on it are "16 HP Hydrostatic", I assume there is probably a model number tag on it somewhere? It's very similar to my AC 616, I'd like to find manuals for it. The original 16HP motor has been replaced with a 14HP B&S, but overall it looks to be in nice condition. The gentleman I got it from says it's been sitting for about 2 years, but ran fine when it was parked. I poured a little fuel in the carburetor and it fired up but wouldn't stay running. I'm sure a little fuel system attention will have 'er up and running. My specific questions concern model I.D. and the hydrostatic transmission. Are there any specific things I need to know about the hydro trans, (I've never owned one before) things I should check, or problem areas that need to be addressed before I drive it? Thanks Much in advance [URL=http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m214/ilpwnp/simplicity/?action=view¤t=Picture.jpg][IMG]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m214/ilpwnp/simplicity/th_Picture.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Welcome to the club, Matt. Can't answer your question, I'm into the large frames, but I can assure you, someone here will have the info you need.

Welcome to the club Matt! It's a great place - I can't help identifying your tractor, but I'm sure someone can. When you do determine the MFR Number you can go to this link (Simpletractors home page): http://www.simpletractors.com/ - look down the left side of the page and find a place to "Search for Manuals at Simplicity's Technical Publications Site" and enter your MFR Number. Simple as that. Good Luck!

Hi, Welcome to the club, I am sure it is a 16GTH, the same tractor with a few minor trim and paint would have been a 6516H the previous year. There was also a 17GTH (6500) series and a 17 GTHL which was a larger series which was a 7117 retrimed. I thought this Letter thing was so dumb and the person whose imagination got away with him, has never been at a parts counter trying to help someone with no 169 numbers with him to figure out what he has. Al Eden

Try this for starts: http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCyEN8cqJYrE3CGh5kbp796Dq

Hi, Welcome to the club, I am sure it is a 16GTH, the same tractor with a few minor trim and paint would have been a 6516H the previous year. There was also a 17GTH (6500) series and a 17 GTHL which was a larger series which was a 7117 retrimed. I thought this Letter thing was so dumb and the person whose imagination got away with him, has never been at a parts counter trying to help someone with no 169 numbers with him to figure out what he has. Al Eden

Pretty reliable unit. Wear items that seem to show up was ball joint on drag link ,front wheel bushings and steering shaft bushing. Mower bearings would be the the other thing to check. Welcome the club.

I was going to say 6516 for sure, but I'm not sure how to tell the difference between a 6516 and a GTH. The mfg number should be on the left side of the frame just above the foot rest. Nice Tractor, but I'd find a 16hp to put back in it.