Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydrolift elbow...am I missing something obvious?

rich_kildow

Parts arrived today to finish the hydrolift on my 7116 and I went to install the shim pack, springs and elbows in the hydraulic unit. On the left side, facing the wheel, 2 plugs have to be removed and elbows installed to match up with the pipes. The elbows that arrived from parts tree are just like these (maybe a different size): http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/EATON-Hydraulic-Hose-Adapter-2F415?Pid=search When you go to put the SAE side with the ring boss and o-ring into the hydraulic unit and turn it, the elbow JIC end hits the housing. Short of installing an extension pipe and some sort of union to get it past the housing, at which point the hydraulic lines won't reach, I cannot figure out how this is supposed to install. I really hope I'm not missing a head-slapping obvious answer here, but I'm at a loss.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blizzard-Snow-Plow-Extra-Long-90-Degree-Elbow-Hydraulic-Fitting-B60072-NEW-/320901763468?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab73c518c&vxp=mtr#ht_1210wt_952 I found some extra long elbows along these lines, which might solve the problem if I can massage the hard lines over that far, but I can't imagine it is neccesary since the spec'd part isn't a special elbow.

You can remove the charge pump easy enough, just clean it well so no dirt gets into it. If that is not what you wish to do then put in a straight JIC O-ring fitting and use a swivel 90.

Taking the charge pump off would work. It looks like it is just the 2 bolts on either side and the one in the middle. Is there anything in there to watch out for? Anything under spring pressure that will go shooting across the room or parts that will drop out inside when I pull the bolt out of the middle?

Me too...I love the swivel fittings and use them wherever possible. adds a bit more flexibility to any hook-up. good luck sm01

yeah, I may have to return the stock ones and order some swivels...I was really hoping to get this done tomorrow when my hoses are ready from O'reilly. I'll have to see if they can get me some swivels.

No its not scary. I have removed and re-installed two on recent projects to put elbows on. Just have to keep everything lined up the same way it came off and make sure the o Ring is in its groove. I wanted to use the original elbows for clearance purposes. Tiller belts almost rub the elbows as they are. Dont know if the straight fittings with swivels would stick out farther or not creating a belt rubbing situation.

That thought came to mind as well. Many of the swivels I saw had a fairly bulk mid-section and everything already seemed very close to the routing for a rear lift cable and the vacuum belt.