Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
912mow

4040 simplicity

912mow
Gentlemen, I am looking at a 4040 simplicity to purchase. The original Onan has been replaced with a 26hp Onan thats about 5 years old from what I am told. What are the pros and cons of the 4040. I will be getting the mowing deck also. Input appreciated as I am not familiar with this tractor at all.

D-17_Dave
The 4040 was the first model of this sized tractor. It originally came with a 16HP CCKA Onan. There were some key changes in later models to allow for more/easier use of options and attachments and a few upgrades. If your only going to mow with it then there is no need to worry about these upgrades. If your going to restore or try to use the tractor for other options then most wait to get a later model. If the price is right and the engine swap hasn't cobbled things up to bad then go for it.

dhardin
Sounds about right, check to see if it has 3pt hitch. These are a great mower if you just mow residential type yards on a weekly mow. I have modified my 4041 to mow deeper grass. Good luck.

912mow
Here is a picture of the 4040 Simplicity I was asking questions about. It followed me home. The 16.5 Onan has been changed to a 20HP Onan of a later year from a Craftsman mower. Starts and runs good. Got a nice 60" deck with new bearings and blades. Mounted it today after the pictures. Still have to get a drive belt for the deck. Has the 3 point lift too.